diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti EB3A Dead on Arrival (DoA)

Erik17

My Bluetti EB3A arrived yesterday and would not turn on. I plugged in the AC power cord and still nothing. I then connected 12 V to the solar input and was able to turn on the screen and connect with the app. The app told me that there is a battery pack communication failure.

I put in a service request with Bluetti yesterday, but have not heard back yet. It sucks to get a DoA product and I hope I don't have to pay to ship it back.
My other complaint is they said it comes with a solar charging cable, but there was not one.

Any advice for working with Bluetti customer service? Do you think the BMS could have come unplugged? I don't see an easy way to open it up to check connections.

Main screen.pngFault.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-01 091051.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-01 091051.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Bummer! I'm sorry to her about your troubles.

The EB3A does NOT come with a solar charging adapter. I don't remember seeing any mention of the solar adapter being included.

The attached 3rd image in my original post is of the specification page for the EB3A. It shows that a solar charging cable is included. I think they were originally going to sell it without a cable, but changed their mind. Maybe they are shipping it separately?

I heard on the FB Bluetti site they were sending out the cable separately. Sorry to hear about your difficulties. The customer service is not great. Persistent email appears to be the only solution.

I had a problem with ups system. They sent a firmware update. Seems to be working now. Cable is coming. Yes, keep emailing. They will respond.

I just got my Eb3a (ordered of Amazon) came with the solar charging cable but I haven’t had a chance to use it. Currently my unit is at 0% and won’t take a charge via AC/grid power. Charge it fine to 100% right out of the box. Left it plugged in while at work the next day and came home to it at 78%. Thought that was weird. Couldn’t get it to charge up to 100%. Watched some YouTube reviews saying to discharge to 0% then power off and that should recalibrate the unit. So I drained to 0% and now it won’t charge up at all. It says it’s taking about 75-100watts when plugged in but the percentage SOC stays at 0%. Pretty bummed. Looks like a bunch of people are having issues with these new little units not charging or bricking up.

Email Bluetti thru the app. They will respond. It may take a day or two, but they will respond.

This is why I ordered through Amazon. Returned my first one and a new one is already on its way. I get pretty impatient with faulty equipment right out of the box. I’m not about to spend hours trying to contact customer service to find a work around when I can just have a new one delivered in the same amount of time.

It's been 10 days since I contacted Bluetti through the app and 5 days since I emailed them and I have still not heard back from them. Any advice on how to proceed? I see a few options.

1. Just wait for Bluetti to reply
  2. Keep emailing Bluetti. I sent a follow up email today
  3. Order a new one on Amazon prime day and returned the first one. Hopefully the second one works
  4. Do a dispute with my credit card company
If I ever order something for Bluetti again I will not do it from Amazon instead of their website.

Last edited:
My Bluetti EB3A arrived yesterday and would not turn on. I plugged in the AC power cord and still nothing. I then connected 12 V to the solar input and was able to turn on the screen and connect with the app. The app told me that there is a battery pack communication failure.

I put in a service request with Bluetti yesterday, but have not heard back yet. It sucks to get a DoA product and I hope I don't have to pay to ship it back.
My other complaint is they said it comes with a solar charging cable, but there was not one.

Any advice for working with Bluetti customer service? Do you think the BMS could have come unplugged? I don't see an easy way to open it up to check connections.

View attachment 100882View attachment 100883
Still waiting for mine, it is shipped. Regarding the cables, no cable are included with unit. You need to buy it separately. I order a set from amazon.ca. As for contact with them, they are slow, slow, slow. China is experiencing all sorts of issues too...... maybe affecting communication.

I did receive a solar adapter from Bluetti yesterday. Thanks!

I remember that one of the early reviews said you did not get one, perhaps to reduce cost. I’m glad that Bluetti changed their mind.

I did receive a solar adapter from Bluetti yesterday. Thanks!

I remember that one of the early reviews said you did not get one, perhaps to reduce cost. I’m glad that Bluetti changed their mind.
Happy to hear that. I did notice when i order the unit that the cable will be available in a few weeks. Thinking it was for ordering only, but seeing some are getting it, will give me upper hand to request a set if the policy of not shipping is excluded in Canada.

My EB3A has arrived. Well package, no solar cable, however online it is to come with it. Advise Bluetti that I haven't received my solar cable.

One annoying problem occured. When the fan is running, it has the usual fan noise but a squeal, high pitch noise is present. This unit will be in a quiet area with people, so that would be annoying.

When using it as UPS, it might not be too bad. Wrong again. After awhile the fan came on the unit started charging. Just sitting in UPS mode, does discharge the battery, resulting in a charge cycle to kick in, and the fan come on. And that irratating squeal noise. I contact Bluetti regarding it via online contact and via their app. Let see how quick they reply.

Another note. The bluetti app is not multiuser, when my iphone is connect, it won't allow me to connect via my ipad and visa versa. The Bluetti app doesn't support landscape mode (I use mostly landscape mode on my ipad). So I have to turn my screen around on the stand.

If you haven't order it, best to wait until this is resolved. Can it be fixed with firmware, maybe a little fudging with fan speed, but those who can still hear well, I doubt it. May require some hardward improvements. I stand corrected.

Can't test solar, as cable have not arrived. Like usual, they don't explain themselves and when we can expect it. Maybe by end of year. LOL

More on the EB3A. Did a little test, I put the unit in UPS mode. Hook up the internet modem, routers and ikea homekit devices, one apple speaker. Drawing about steady 60 watts. No other load. It is a cute little device, but how practical is it? Time will tell.

About every 10 minutes, the 100 percent charge drop to 99 percent. The fan cuts in slow and increases in speed (that background noise is still there). It keep repeating the same cycle every 10 minutes.

If you had this in a living quaters, bedroom, living room, etc. You may end moving it out hearing range if possible. I didn't expect it would run the fan that often. Makes you wonder about it efficiency and if it has adequate cooling.

What will it be like when solar panel is hook up and when drawing a load??? Waiting for the other equipment to arrive. Not a single word from Bluetti as to when I can expect the cables. Eh?

Let test the switching and see if the devices end up rebooting....... WOW, it worked. No rebooting on any of the devices. No noise, very quiet transistion. I can of expected that, as the devices in question, not that sensitive to spilt second voltage change.

Last edited:
More on the EB3A. Did a little test, I put the unit in UPS mode. Hook up the internet modem, routers and ikea homekit devices, one apple speaker. Drawing about steady 60 watts. No other load. It is a cute little device, but how practical is it? Time will tell.

About every 10 minutes, the 100 percent charge drop to 99 percent. The fan cuts in slow and increases in speed (that background noise is still there). It keep repeating the same cycle every 10 minutes.

If you had this in a living quaters, bedroom, living room, etc. You may end moving it out hearing range if possible. I didn't expect it would run the fan that often. Makes you wonder about it efficiency and if it has adequate cooling.

What will it be like when solar panel is hook up and when drawing a load??? Waiting for the other equipment to arrive. Not a single word from Bluetti as to when I can expect the cables. Eh?

Let test the switching and see if the devices end up rebooting....... WOW, it worked. No rebooting on any of the devices. No noise, very quiet transistion. I can of expected that, as the devices in question, not that sensitive to spilt second voltage change.
I have the unit sitting on a desk right next to my bed. The fan is audible but not bothersome. Atleast to me. I did notice how warm it gets just plugged in to AC power in ups mode but not drawing any loads. Seems like it’s not true passthrough with the AC power but just running off battery power and then continually charging up the battery. After a couple hours the top of the Eb3a was warm enough that I wouldn’t feel comfortable with anything stacked on top of it.

I also have got overheating warnings charging up on AC at the normal rate which is ~250 watts. So not even sure if the Turbo charging at 350 watts would be doable if the normal rate over heats the unit. This is in sub 75 degree weather in San Diego. Not hot ambient temps by any means.

To reduce the fan noise i change the setting to silent from standard charge level. This did reduce the fan noise but the buzz is still there. The cycle on/off fan/charge is roughly the same

I have the unit sitting on a desk right next to my bed. The fan is audible but not bothersome. Atleast to me. I did notice how warm it gets just plugged in to AC power in ups mode but not drawing any loads. Seems like it’s not true passthrough with the AC power but just running off battery power and then continually charging up the battery. After a couple hours the top of the Eb3a was warm enough that I wouldn’t feel comfortable with anything stacked on top of it.

I also have got overheating warnings charging up on AC at the normal rate which is ~250 watts. So not even sure if the Turbo charging at 350 watts would be doable if the normal rate over heats the unit. This is in sub 75 degree weather in San Diego. Not hot ambient temps by any means.
It cool here in Alberta, Canada.... Putting the unit in silent mode helped, but the cycling on and off still happen. In strandard mode, it would be way to loud next the bed or living room stand. I may have a issue with my unit, as there is a squeal, buzzing noise behind the fan noise. I check utube and found another reviewer that also had the same issue from a unit that was sent to him for review.

I manage to record a video with sound, the first instance of it, missed the worse part, as I didn't have my camera setup. The attach files option doesn't allow for video or audio clips, otherwise I would post it. I am running it in the same setup, hoping it may clear up, but so far, no go..

Okay on the heat. I am starting to think the system is on the edge of it limits. Over ambition features with their hardware. I must say, the display is really nice. Haven't test out in the sun yet. Still waiting for Bluetti to reply to my case that I opened online and via their app.

When I did the UPS, surprised that it worked. Very slient, no relay clicking. I will do a more indepth test as it was unexpected.

Got notice that my AC200MAX to be delivered this Friday. I put it off earlier on account Bluetti would not confirm the hot neutral issue was resolved. Canceled the paid order. Recently got a message, that it is fixed. (must have used each other engineers, as same issue with other name brands from China.). I then reorder it again.

It will be the first thing I check. The plan to use on our 30 amp trailer plug with lifepo4 battery bank and if needed our honda generator.

Back