diy solar

diy solar

BMS for 48V 280AH system

Paper St.

I am looking at purchasing 16 Lifepo4 3.2V 280Ah Battery Cells and building a 48V battery system. I need some advise for the best BMS to incorporate in the build. It doesn't look like there are many options for 48V high amperage BMS's. Would it be better to build two 24V batteries with their own high amp BMS's and series them, or use one 48V high amp BMS?

Overkill solar has a new 48v version.

Chargery is another option.

The Amperage of the BMS should be matched to your expected loads not the Ahr capacity of your batteries. At 48 volts 100 Amps is 4.8 kW. Derating a BMS is recomended so a 150 Amp BMS would be fine for a 4.8 kW expected load. Your mileage may vary depending on how you define high Amperage?

I am looking at purchasing 16 Lifepo4 3.2V 280Ah Battery Cells and building a 48V battery system. I need some advise for the best BMS to incorporate in the build. It doesn't look like there are many options for 48V high amperage BMS's. Would it be better to build two 24V batteries with their own high amp BMS's and series them, or use one 48V high amp BMS?
Depending on budget and longevity plans. Nuvation can handle your needs but they are pricey. Good news is they can help you with any information you need. BMS is about US $1200 or so but you are talking about a BMS for a 13.4kw battery. It has all the bells and whistles. Not a sales person, it is the BMS I am saving for.

Bells and whistles? My Orion BMS Jr. has a lot of bells and whistles for charging an EV. I only use a few of the features and it only cost $600. My pack is 28kWh and soon to be 42 kWh.

Bells and whistles? My Orion BMS Jr. has a lot of bells and whistles for charging an EV. I only use a few of the features and it only cost $600. My pack is 28kWh and soon to be 42 kWh.
Very nice :) I am not familiar with that one but I have seen this one in many commercial setups like larger Simpliphi battery boxes and MW systems. Here is a quick overview of that particular product.

Sounds interesting about your car build. Good luck

I sold the EV conversion four years ago. My Orion BMS was left over from that project. My point was simply that for an Energy Storage System all those bells and whistles are not needed.
I checked out that video and my take is that was a prototype and it might be a good system for a micro grid for a city or campus but just too expensive and overkill for my needs. In my mind, a BMS is a risk management device and there are only two risks, overvoltage and low voltage. Those can occur at the pack level and the cell level. Balancing and reporting are nice to have and can easily be acomplished with existing products.
Save your money and put it into more batteries or a more flexible inverter where there is a better return.

I sold the EV conversion four years ago. My Orion BMS was left over from that project. My point was simply that for an Energy Storage System all those bells and whistles are not needed.
I checked out that video and my take is that was a prototype and it might be a good system for a micro grid for a city or campus but just too expensive and overkill for my needs. In my mind, a BMS is a risk management device and there are only two risks, overvoltage and low voltage. Those can occur at the pack level and the cell level. Balancing and reporting are nice to have and can easily be acomplished with existing products.
Save your money and put it into more batteries or a more flexible inverter where there is a better return.
The main reason I am looking at this manufacturer is that I am about 100 meters from the beach and this is a high quality BMS and it is not limited to amp draw. This will be limited by your shunt and your contactors. I am building my system for a apartment building. I also want to be able to help friends with much larger places than mine.

This is in a small tourist resort town with nightly guests. I am genuinely concerned about quality and not losing power if possible.

The problem with big systems like in the video is the price tag for that. As you know, a lot of the price is in the batteries This is definitely a great resource.

Thanks for your suggestions as well. The more options the better.

this is a high quality BMS and it is not limited to amp draw.
Lets assume your specs include a contactor and external shunt so that you are not limited by current. Is that a good starting point? I did not see any specs on the Nuvation BMS, do you have a link?

Lets assume your specs include a contactor and external shunt so that you are not limited by current. Is that a good starting point? I did not see any specs on the Nuvation BMS, do you have a link?
I am not sure if I understood you correctly or not but what I was trying to convey is that the main power doesn't go through the BMS like a lot of the cheaper BMS's. It is solely based on the accessories for the system and of course the cells themselves.

They have a few things on the website but I don't think everything is there. They mainly deal with commercial sales i believe, not sure but the training is a lot of architecture design. You should contact them directly if you are looking for the big stuff but I found a couple links for smaller jobs like me.

They have some great free training videos on their YouTube channel that explains how to scale but I am still learning and would butcher the information. Hopefully I understood what you wanted to know. I was heading to bed when I saw the post.

Back