diy solar

diy solar

BMS for 6V Lead batteries system

eXodus

Solar Addict
I got a 6V battery systems in my Golf Carts (at work) which served me fine for years. They have 6 batteries (36V) or 8 Batteries (48v)

So I noticed that always the first battery in the string on one (sometimes positive, sometimes negative) side goes out of balance - even with equalizing. Currently I manage this by occasional switching the order of the batteries.

I was wondering if I could fix this labor intensive process with a BMS to balance those batteries.
My other theory is that with a BMS I could squeeze some more life out of those lead blocks.

Anyone aware of a BMS which can take 6V per "cell" ? My idea is that lead is still a good choice for some application if people would take care of them. A BMS should be able to pickup on issues between the batteries, they usually drop in voltage when the water is low. So that could be an early indicator.

HA02 balancer would probably work but you would need two or three of them to cover 8 series connected 6v batteries.

If they are getting out of balance due to speed control that switches in different amount of series batteries you might be better off finding a PWM speed controller. That would equally load all eight batteries.

Last edited:
HA02 balancer would probably work but you would need two or three of them to cover 8 series connected 6v batteries.

If they are getting out of balance due to speed control that switches in different amount of series batteries you might be better off finding a PWM speed controller. That would equally load all eight batteries.

Thanks I just looked up the HA02, looks promising. Even when I would do put two batteries together for 12V each, what the HA02 supports, would probably help.
So 36V carts would be 3x12v for balancing and the 48V would be 4x12v, since only one battery usually gets messed up that should already bring an improvement.

But no, the carts always use the whole pack for driving forward. Some of the older carts use a middle tap for driving backwards, but that should draw down 3x batteries and not only 1.

Back