diy solar

diy solar

BMS for DIY Lifepo4 battery and Victron Components

Vanhandler

Newbie here and need some help choosing a bms and determining if there are any other components needed.

Currently I am awaiting 12 Eve 280AH (3.2) Grade A cells which should be arriving in the next 2-4 weeks.

I am planning to configure them in a 3P4S configuration and I am trying to determine what is the best option for a BMS that would communicate with my Victron gear. I was looking at the REC SI BMS. Would one of these units work with the configuration I am planning?

I am running a 12v system (Solar, shore power, and alternator) with the following components:

5 X 100 Watt Renogy Mono Panels (in series)
100/30 Victron Solar Controller
12 12 - 30 Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger
3000 Watt Victron Charger Inverter

Victron Lynx Distributor
ACDC Combined Fuse box
Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor

I am thinking I will need a Cerbo GX and GX Touch as well?

Thanks in advance.

Not going to comment on the main question.

With 5 panels in series and a Victron 100/30, max voltage output will easily be exceeded. I ended up going 3S2P with my six 100 watt Renogy panels. Flat on the roof although they may be capable of 36 charging amps max, I have not seen that much, perhaps 25 tops.

You listed both a multiplus and a SCC, Are you using both? I thought the multiplus could also take solar panel input.

Also, as was pointed out to me recently, the Victron multiplus is 3000 VA, which actually means 2400 watts.

I have Vicron SCCs and the 712, and with my lithium build, I am using an Overkill BMS, but that will not interface with the Victron Equipment. Victron has a line of BMS, but that only seems to work with VIctron Lithium Batteries, so I did not get that.

Last edited:
Newbie here and need some help choosing a bms and determining if there are any other components needed.

Currently I am awaiting 12 Eve 280AH (3.2) Grade A cells which should be arriving in the next 2-4 weeks.

I am planning to configure them in a 3P4S configuration and I am trying to determine what is the best option for a BMS that would communicate with my Victron gear. I was looking at the REC SI BMS. Would one of these units work with the configuration I am planning?

I am running a 12v system (Solar, shore power, and alternator) with the following components:

12 12 - 30 Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger
3000 Watt Victron Charger Inverter

Victron Lynx Distributor
ACDC Combined Fuse box
Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor

I am thinking I will need a Cerbo GX and GX Touch as well?

Thanks in advance.

REC ABMS
Orion
Batrium

These all have Canbus interface that will work with the Cerbo using DVCC to control the entire system. If you go with one of these BMS and the Cerbo you do not need the BMV712 as SOC will come from the BMS.

You listed both a multiplus and a SCC, Are you using both? I thought the multiplus could also take solar panel input.
A MultiPlus is not an "all-in-one". It's an inverter/charger. And the OP actually didn't state it was a MultiPlus, just "charger inverter".

You need to use Victron's MPPT calculator (https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator). You will likely find you can't put 5 panels in series with the 100/30 unless the Voc of those panels is under 17 or 18V.

Regarding a BMS with Victron stuff, you might be interested in:

A MultiPlus is not an "all-in-one". It's an inverter/charger. And the OP actually didn't state it was a MultiPlus, just "charger inverter".

You need to use Victron's MPPT calculator (https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator). You will likely find you can't put 5 panels in series with the 100/30 unless the Voc of those panels is under 17 or 18V.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did buy the multiplus!

REC ABMS
Orion
Batrium

These all have Canbus interface that will work with the Cerbo using DVCC to control the entire system. If you go with one of these BMS and the Cerbo you do not need the BMV712 as SOC will come from the BMS.
You can add TAO BMS to that list. You definitely need the Cerbo GX. Based on the conditions (cell voltage, temperature, SOC) the BMS sets max voltage / max current for charging, and min voltage / max current for inverter discharging.
Have a look at the resource: BMS comparison chart

Thanks for the input. I just purchased a 100/20 mppt to add to the system.

REC ABMS
Orion
Batrium

So I would only use one BMS for the 3p4S configuration? Looking at the REC ABMS and it says it’s for 4 cells in series, which made me believe I would need to buy 3 of them.

So I would only use one BMS for the 3p4S configuration? Looking at the REC ABMS and it says it’s for 4 cells in series, which made me believe I would need to buy 3 of them.
I am building my first lithium batteries now and am going with two BMSs, one for each battery. I have 2 batteries. Overall, each BMS was about 2% the total cost of the project, so I got two.

If by 3P4S you mean three batteries, than yes three BMSs. If you mean 3 cells in parallel and then 4 in series, that's one BMS. I don't know the intricacies of this, except cell voltage will be averaged amongst the 3 cells in parallel so without being able to monitor individual cells, matching the loads is extremely important.

I like the idea of redundancy and still having a battery if I have to take a cell out for replacement.

Back