diy solar

diy solar

BMS ideas for 280AH 16s EVE cell system from Amy at Shenzhen Luyuan / Xuba

Darkstar

Rain Wrangler
I just placed an order for 16 280AH EVE cells from Amy Amy at Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co., Ltd.

Was relatively easy and painless. Still waiting for payment to fully process so not quite out of the woods yet.

Cells: 1,318.72
Sea Freight: 388.00

Total: 1706.72

I was also charged 50 some dollars for credit card processing fee...

She threw in double bus bars for free after I mentioned that I was a member of the forums here.

Will update as the order and the project progresses.

I am looking for recommendations for a solid BMS solution.

Planning a 48V battery so my first choice, electrodaucus is out...

Afraid of Chargery Since Will's review - I don't deal with super complex/confusing configuration well. I'm a plug and play sort of fella...

I have a 16S ant bms that I have never used. I may try that temporarily but Jason's experience is fresh in my mind.

Anyone have any other better suggestions for BMS for a 16s 280AH battery system?

The Daly normally is reliable, their new smart model isn't good yet.
It is the simplest plug and pray system.
No monitoring, normally not needed.

Alternatively, you can use 2 x 24v sets from electrodaucus.

The other names: some are "no-name" plug and pray, with no reputation, and dirt-cheap.They might work great (or not)
Others have tonnes of configuration, main question: Why?

BMS isn't rocket science, all it needs to do is monitor cell voltage, and when it reaches critical high or low, disconnect from charge and/or discharge.

Personally, I like the setup of Chargery, Electrodaucus and DIYBMS.
They don't use MOSFETs to switch on or off, but contactors/relays.

This way the maximal Amperage is not limited by the BMS, but the contractor/relay.

It is more reliable to use this setup.
More expensive, for sure.

If a BMS fails, it's mostly the mosfets that need to turn on-off.
At higher loads, they get crazy hot.

Contactor/relays don't have that issue.
Once on power they get warm with the correct voltage.
(On 16* 280Ah, use the power from 13 cells, at 14 - 16 it does get too hot)

2,3, 400 Ampere?
If you have the correct contactor/relay and wires... Not a problem!
No difference for the BMS as 20,30 or 40 Ampere.

The other types...
It does make huge difference.

The DIYBMS is NOT plug and play.
Electrodaucus and chargery are, with many possible settings to change if you like, standard settings will work fine also.
You don't need to fine-tune.

I just placed an order for 16 280AH EVE cells from Amy Amy at Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co., Ltd.

Was relatively easy and painless. Still waiting for payment to fully process so not quite out of the woods yet.

I was also charged 50 some dollars for credit card processing fee...

She threw in double bus bars for free after I mentioned that I was a member of the forums here.

Will update as the order and the project progresses.

I am looking for recommendations for a solid BMS solution.

Planning a 48V battery so my first choice, electrodaucus is out...

Afraid of Chargery Since Will's review - I don't deal with super complex/confusing configuration well. I'm a plug and play sort of fella...

I have a 16S ant bms that I have never used. I may try that temporarily but Jason's experience is fresh in my mind.

Anyone have any other better suggestions for BMS for a 16s 280AH battery system?
How long will the shipping take to get to you? It appears you are building over 13k for under 2000.00$. That is quite a value. I think I may also do that.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Xuba due her high price for the cells and transport.
My latest order for the 3.2V 280AH Lifepo4 Battery at Haomi was $ 73.00 per cell.
Thailand is closer to China, I paid $1400,- for 16*280Ah DDP.
Tracking was horrible.. it arrived in 7 days. (y)

One other forum member ordered there short time ago, paid $77 per cell and saved on 16* 280Ah over $ 200,- compared to Xuba.
Trade assurance is standard with Alibaba.

Credit card has its costs, if there are problems that trade assurance can't help with, you'll be happy when you've paid the 50 bucks and got the help you needed.

It is your money, and Xuba does make nice video before she sends out.
Extra busbars are nice gesture too..
If it's worth $200,- ?
Up to you :)

That is a good price...

$4 TOTAL-INCLUDING SHIPPING less per cell than I paid 4 days ago from another seller

Are you in the USA? West or East Coast?
If not USA the where?
The shipping you have is way lower than I was quoted, but the cell price I got was a bit cheaper.

GOOD LUCK!

How long will the shipping take to get to you? It appears you are building over 13k for under 2000.00$. That is quite a value. I think I may also do that.

Amy says they are shipping tomorrow. Sea transport should take 30 days to reach me.

That is a good price...

$4 TOTAL-INCLUDING SHIPPING less per cell than I paid 4 days ago from another seller

Are you in the USA? West or East Coast?
If not USA the where?
The shipping you have is way lower than I was quoted, but the cell price I got was a bit cheaper.

GOOD LUCK!

West coast, Northwest corner of Washington State.

Where are you located?

Their was a $700 dollar difference between Xuba and the company I ended up going with which is the one Fhorst is referring too.
Don't know how long it will take for you to get them. I've seen some people wait almost 3 months to get them. It has been a month for me now.

When it gets here it might be held up in customs for some time.

Their was a $700 dollar difference between Xuba and the company I ended up going with which is the one Fhorst is referring too.
Don't know how long it will take for you to get them. I've seen some people wait almost 3 months to get them. It has been a month for me now.

When it gets here it might be held up in customs for some time.
Did you get trade assurance and order on the website? Do they give you tracking info? I want to do something similar and I am a bit concerned?

I didn't get any type of trade assurance and I don't think you get any type of tracking until it hits the USA. Not gonna have much tracking out in the ocean.

FYI POSTING

For Purchase through Alibaba and the 40 dudes in the sand dunes of Arabia........You will get a trade assurance agreement via/from Alibaba and a contract from the seller posted on the electronic/web page -trade assurance when you order. You can use the contact button to ask for terms to be...... -changed -added-removed -amended the contract you agree at time of purchase .....and that is posted on the trade assurance web page. It all seems on the up and up and per may google fu is .......but like eBay relies on a honest seller and dishonest sellers not knowing how to game the system. Just from reading the internet Alibaba seems to rank above eBay but below Amazon for the typical American buyer.

If bought from a long time, popular, respected seller, similar to XUBA at this forum, you will have a honest transaction- same guarding/checking rules as you would use for eBay purchase. From reading in the threads these past two months....it appears the buyer issues/disappointments are the long shipping times where tracking numbers are not updated until the ship is unloaded and the cargo/order is segregated and your is set on the US shippers pallet..... arranged by the broker.....-and this is not explained too /or well understood by the buyer.......next is when there is damage during shipping as you will feel lost and not sure how to proceed......and very concerned with so much money you invested.......and that one bad cell ruining your whole battery pack.....W..H..A..T......D..O......Y..O..U......D..O..?????. Initial buyer to seller contact usually reported as a very short response of "we did not ship any damaged product"-and no mention of a resolution, or making good, and by implication that you are SOL. I have read some threads where seller has made good-sometimes they shipped replacement-sometimes they replaced cell but you paid shipping- some Posters just stopped updating their thread/posting so what does that mean?. I have not read one that was the energizer bunny and just kept on going due to buyer dissatisfaction complaining an complaining every day with another nasty post.......so that is a good sign.

By 2 to 1 margin it seems damaged cells seen within the first 7 days o receiving are a user applied features....(as opposed to shipping damaged) by users puffing up their cells -known as bloating at this forum--- -and 80% of the time its determined to be user error due to lack of patience and too much creativity- the other 20% the user denies denies denies denies denies and insists on defective cell. I have read two posts in the last two months where seller made good/partially good on one and two puffed up cells-when they probably should have not done so. I would agree with most of you that the purchase is an investment and not a consumer purchase of a consumable due to cost relative to income-and that China is too far away to use the legal system or buyer/seller organizations or consumer protection agencies to help you recover your funds if it goes south..

It is posted by many in the various forums that Alibaba usually sides with the Chinese seller over the small American Buyer, with exception being if the seller can not show item was shipped, but I have read that some sellers just grab a past tracking #.......or buy one real cheap-that are for sell on the Chinese Social Media sights slanted towards "how to screw a foreign Devil buyer" and post as yours to trick the Alibaba resolution system.

The quality/reputable American Credit Card companies usually side with the buyer if you do not abuse that feature to get stuff for free, but at a high insurance price as Alibaba charges you the credit card fee (2.9%). You decide if you want to pay that extra $68 for the piece of mind.

Tracking is usually posted at Alibaba when they ship from china-but most will have not updating.....and will say "expecting shipment" for 20-50 days depending on how slow the boat from China is.

Did you get trade assurance and order on the website? Do they give you tracking info? I want to do something similar and I am a bit concerned?

I just got my trade assurance number today. Also my fedex label was created today so hopefully by the end of the week I will have my cells.

Last edited:
According to Alibaba mine shipped yesterday:

"Jul. 11, 2020, 20:25:27 PDT., the order has been shipped."

I messaged my alibaba contact and asked if my cells where here in america or just being shipped out of china. He gave me a screenshot of the fedex label and said yes its a local shipping company.
So apparently my cells are being shipped by fedex this week. Fingers crossed

He gave me a screenshot of the fedex label and said yes its a local shipping company.
My understanding of the process is that their local shipping company gets the goods in a container that goes on a ship to the USA. Somehow FedEx knows when to pick it up when it clears customs and that is when FedEx gives you a real estimate of delivery. If it has been a month since they were put on the ship you may be correct. What was the date on the Fedex shipping label?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Xuba due her high price for the cells and transport.
My latest order for the 3.2V 280AH Lifepo4 Battery at Haomi was $ 73.00 per cell.
Thailand is closer to China, I paid $1400,- for 16*280Ah DDP.
Tracking was horrible.. it arrived in 7 days. (y)

One other forum member ordered there short time ago, paid $77 per cell and saved on 16* 280Ah over $ 200,- compared to Xuba.
Trade assurance is standard with Alibaba.

Credit card has its costs, if there are problems that trade assurance can't help with, you'll be happy when you've paid the 50 bucks and got the help you needed.

It is your money, and Xuba does make nice video before she sends out.
Extra busbars are nice gesture too..
If it's worth $200,- ?
Up to you :)
So you paid $1168 (16 x $73) and $232 shipping to your home for 16 cells and they arrived in 7 days - that's incredible? Were they matched and tested? Have you had any issues?

I don't have any issues.
If they where tested?
No idea.
What types of test are you referring to?

If I buy a mobile phone I don't ask the seller to do 10.000 possible tests, as that is (or should be) done in the factory.

The voltage was all 3.30v.
Just to be safe, I made one large parallel battery for 48 hours.

After this they got their spot together with the 3*152Ah (who where at 3.30v), making 736Ah per parallel set.

That was 22 days ago.
On average (now a 20A discharge) the cells are under 0.005v difference between them.
Even my active Balancer doesn't need to work :)

In 5 or 10 years...
Time will tell.

Back