diy solar

diy solar

BMS instead of Fuse/Breaker

Please describe the scenario when the fuse would do something better then a BMS would do.
That's not really in context here tbh.

The appropriate issue to address is whether the bms can do something a quality fuse cannot.

Until a BMS provides ground fault interruption I'm not going to consider it a safety device. Overcurrent is a nice bonus but fuses have the proven history.

Counter question - Is a fuse needed with a proper wire layout? Or is the BMS as over-current device sufficient?
If the BMS works correctly, then it is sufficient. However:
  • The BMS requires a complex set of hardware and software to all function properly to quickly shut off the current. There are a lot of possible failure modes.
  • The fuse requires one resistive element to heat up and burn out. There are not very many failure modes for a fuse. In fact, I would say the most likely failure mode with a fuse is if you buy it from a cheapo manufacturer and it is not what it is advertised to be.
The fuse will always be more reliable so the question comes down to weather the BMS can be reliable enough. To be honest, I can't prove the BMS's over current function is reliable or unreliable. However, like many others I am not ready to trust the BMS when a fuse is so easy to add.

Last edited:
Back