diy solar

diy solar

BMS Musings...

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
Is it just me or have there been a ton of problems with Daly BMS lately?

Problems with Electrodacus: Zero. But maybe the issues are being posted elsewhere?

Problems with Overkill Solar BMS: Minimal. I separate out the OKS BMS from the JBD BMS because OKS carries a subset of what is available from JBD. I do tend to be a OKS fanboy and have to throttle back my fawning, but the smart BMS that OKS carries have few problems.

JBD: The higher amp versions (non-smart?) aren't looking too good.

I wonder if QC is suffering as manufacturers try to get their post-covid numbers up?

Is it just me or have there been a ton of problems with Daly BMS lately?

Most of the problems I see are people not following directions and hooking them up wrong (plug in the BMS leads last or apparently bad things happen). Another problem is that people seem to think if they can't see it via bluetooth, it isn't working (but actually it just turned off the bluetooth to save power). SOC and current readings can't be relied on, but basic BMS functionality seems fine if you just follow directions.

Problems with Electrodacus: Zero. But maybe the issues are being posted elsewhere?

I'm sure Dacien answers lots of questions, but really, it's a single board computer with the ability to do analog to digital measurements, there isn't actually a lot to go wrong. No FETs, and any relays or solid state relays you purchase aren't the BMS. I'm sure some people have blown the outputs that it uses to control things, but generally speaking, it doesn't have high power anything to go wrong, and yes, problems with it generally aren't asked here.

Problems with Overkill Solar BMS: Minimal. I separate out the OKS BMS from the JBD BMS because OKS carries a subset of what is available from JBD. I do tend to be a OKS fanboy and have to throttle back my fawning, but the smart BMS that OKS carries have few problems.
Yes, OKS pretty much ordered BMS and found a good one, and has marketed it. With clear and concise directions and a pretty bulletproof BMS, things are just easier. :)

Yes, it isn't higher amperage, but it just works. I imagine with the number that he orders, he has a lot of input into testing and validation before it leaves the factory, just like any other USA based company that is getting products manufactured in China.

JBD: The higher amp versions (non-smart?) aren't looking too good.

Non-smart? Just say no, unless you get them custom manufactured with the correct settings. Why do they use the values like 2.2v and 4.1v for low and high voltage? Daly does the stupid stuff too, but at least you can change them on the smart BMS.

The JBD BMS has stupid defaults as well, I'm not sure if OKS just changes them before shipping, or has them programmed in the factory like that.

Back