diy solar

diy solar

BMS question regarding Chargery shunt

Solarfun4jim

Solar seduced :-)
Is the shunt on the Chargery BMS system used solely for calculating the battery SOC? Can the chargery unit be run without the shunt connected, with only the balance cables connected and still have all the necessary protections?
If i installed a victron bmv712 plus shunt into my system, would i need to attach the chargery BMS to the victron shunt and recalibrate the chargery unit?
Thanks for any views offered.

Is the shunt on the Chargery BMS system used solely for calculating the battery SOC? Can the chargery unit be run without the shunt connected, with only the balance cables connected and still have all the necessary protections?
If i installed a victron bmv712 plus shunt into my system, would i need to attach the chargery BMS to the victron shunt and recalibrate the chargery unit?
I think I saw that question asked before and the answer is that you it will work fine without the shunt ..... May have to set the low SOC cut off to zero.
Lets see if @Chargery will check in and verify that.

I use the Chargery shunt to measure current flow. The fact that it only reports amps in whole numbers makes it slightly less useful for my application.

The cell level monitoring and balance during charge is all I really need from it.

I haven’t found the SOC function to be useful at all.

I will take a guess that the Chargery could piggyback on the Victron shunt if you really wanted to

I use the Chargery shunt to measure current flow. The fact that it only reports amps in whole numbers makes it slightly less useful for my application.

The cell level monitoring and balance during charge is all I really need from it.

I will take a guess that the Chargery could piggyback on the Victron shunt if you really wanted to

I agree that you should be able to do that if you want.

Thanks folks, that helps a lot to know that i dont need the shunt connected to the chargery unit to get the protections functionality.
If i remember correctly, i also think that since i've no intention of charging up to 3.6V/cell, then the active balance function will be limited as well. As per Joe's reply, i only really need cell level monitoring and the disconnect functionality from that. (Keeps it simple) (y)(y)(y)

without shunt, the BMS cannot detect charge and discharge current, so when over current when charging or discharging, especially when short circuit occur, the BMS will not cut off charge or discharge, that is to say over curren protecion will be disabable.

without shunt, the BMS cannot detect charge and discharge current, so when over current when charging or discharging, especially when short circuit occur, the BMS will not cut off charge or discharge, that is to say over curren protecion will be disabable.
Ahh....thanks for that Jason.
Would it be possible to run two shunts in series, the chargery connected to one shunt, then a victron connected to the other, in line next?
The same power input/output would go through both shunts??

Ahh....thanks for that Jason.
Would it be possible to run two shunts in series, the chargery connected to one shunt, then a victron connected to the other, in line next?
The same power input/output would go through both shunts??
Yes, you can have more than one shunt in-line.

One shunt can be used to monitor "in" and one can be used to monitor "out".

Sorry if i'm off topic here but you raised a question for me. I have a midnite solar charge controller with their shunt installed. could i use it for the chargery as well? anything special required to calibrate it that anyone knows of? thanks

Sorry if i'm off topic here but you raised a question for me. I have a midnite solar charge controller with their shunt installed. could i use it for the chargery as well? anything special required to calibrate it that anyone knows of? thanks
I am not sure you could use the same shunt. For starters they would have to be the same spec. The two typical types I have seen are 50 mV and 75 mV. Other issue would be whether there would be any transient currents when the Chargery and the Midnite controller are connected together by the shunt wires.

Last edited:
The standard midnite Shunt is a Deltec 500A/50mv used in combination with the WizBangJr. Yes you can use that shunt with other devices, the wizbang kit would have come with standoffs to accommodate that. If setup per Midnite specs, that shunt should be reading everything going in/out of the system, as an overall "view".

If you only have one "battery" which is connected to the system that uses a Chargery, then theoretically you could use the Midnite Shunt, calibrate the Chargery to use it and go that route. But if you have more than one battery or a battery bank with more than one BMS, this won't serve the purpose.

Chargery uses 100, 300, 500 amp shunts @ 75mv, at this time. They can use other shunts that are 75mv or lower with calibration.

Back