diy solar

diy solar

BMS Redundancy

S6HU84

I am building a LiFePO4 off-grid energy storage system that will serve a home and business. The site does not have grid connection, nor affordable possibility of such. I am attempting to design a system that will be as fault-resistant as possible.

For the 192 prismatic cells, I am planning 6 parallel strings of 2p16s each. I am doing this in part to allow for additional redundancy in the event that a string encounters a fault, and in part due to the lack of practicality in pushing that many amps through one set of leads if they were to be all paralleled. It will also allow me to expand the system as needed. I will be keeping the maximum voltages relatively low to encourage long lifespan for the cells and avoid string balance issues.

This redundancy sounds great, until I get to the BMSs. I would like for the BMSs to integrate with my Victron MPPTs and inverters (also highly redundant), but I haven’t been able to get away from a single point of failure with any of the BMS designs. Potentially the EMUS BMS has a master/slave configuration that appears promising, but I can’t find much information about it. I have sent an email, so we’ll see what they say. The information I can find is at the bottom of this page: EMUSBMS

Does anyone have ideas on how to ensure redundancy for the BMSs? In the event that I am out of town, the business simply can’t see a week of power loss if the single BMS has a fault or dies as electronics are apt to do. Should I give up on the Victron integration and simply get a series of Overkill Solar or similar BMSs? Appreciate any advice here. Thanks in advance!

See if you can get hold of @Pyrofx, he has a setup of master/slave REC units that i believe allow for individual pack shutdown

Back