diy solar

diy solar

BMS showing different Voltage than Shunt

So do I stop charging when the battery reaches a non-nominal 14V or is 14V the nominal voltage that it's supposed to settle to sometime after being fully charged?
As suggested if you battery charger is programmable set the charge voltage, ( termed absotbtion or boost) to around 14.0 volts. This will charge your battery to a useful 'fullness' perhaps 99% of the absolute capacity of the battery. There is no need to completely charge to absolute maximum capacity as this would reduce service life.
Once charged with no load the voltage will settle to around 13.4 volts.
If your charger has a float setting set this to 13.4 to 13.5 volts, should not be higher than the resting voltage.
If possible do not leave the battery for long periods at maximum state of charge.

Depending on the chargers used with your battery the settings in the Victron shunt may need changing to get correct sync to 100% SOC.

Mike

As suggested if you battery charger is programmable set the charge voltage, ( termed absotbtion or boost) to around 14.0 volts. This will charge your battery to a useful 'fullness' perhaps 99% of the absolute capacity of the battery. There is no need to completely charge to absolute maximum capacity as this would reduce service life.
Once charged with no load the voltage will settle to around 13.4 volts.
If your charger has a float setting set this to 13.4 to 13.5 volts, should not be higher than the resting voltage.
If possible do not leave the battery for long periods at maximum state of charge.

Depending on the chargers used with your battery the settings in the Victron shunt may need changing to get correct sync to 100% SOC.

Mike
My charger is set to 14.6v by default and can't be adjusted. Could I just keep an eye on it and unplug the charger when I see a 14.0 reading from the BMS?

I can hear a humming noise perhaps coil whine coming from the victron smart shunt. Is that normal?
The smart shunt should not hum. What have you got in the box, its not too clear from the pictures?
charger is set to 14.6v by default and can't be adjusted
Do you have details of the charger? Whilst not ideal, stopping the charge when it gets around 14.2 volts will help. If you forget the BMS will protect. You should be able to determine near full charge from the BMS app or the Victron shunt.

Mike

The smart shunt should not hum. What have you got in the box, its not too clear from the pictures?

Do you have details of the charger? Whilst not ideal, stopping the charge when it gets around 14.2 volts will help. If you forget the BMS will protect. You should be able to determine near full charge from the BMS app or the Victron shunt.

Mike
Here is the amazon link to my charger. I did notice that the amount of amps it outputs decreases by quite a bit when the battery is nearing full so I don't know if that means the charger is able to regulate its charging voltage to something else than 14.6V all the time.

As for the smart shunt topic, here is my wiring diagram which shows you what is all inside the battery box. The humming noise is faint so I cannot hear it if the box lid is closed.

Back