diy solar

diy solar

BMS that does not have to be hacked in Chinese to work

The Hankzor store on Aliexpress. I'm unaware of anyone in the U.S. currently reselling them, but there may be someone.
You can have them air shipped from the Hankzor store as well. Ordered one on June 6th and arrived June 15th to upper midwest in USA. Shipping was $48.24 to do that.

Where do you get a JK BMS?
Minerals and Hankzor Stores. Test them on a battery as soon as you get them in. Even if it is just a temporary test setup. Don't leave them on the shelf for three months. The warranty is one month.

I've only used ANT BMS and they've been great. Originally bought because they had 200ma balancing, which was high at that time. Use active balancers now so no longer a feature for me. No real issues with the software and they have all just worked.

No it’s just I manually command a reconnect
I guess that works in some situations. Based on your handle, I assume your use case is on a boat when you are there with the battery. For some of us a manual command to reconnect is problematic. Remote cabin in the mountains, or an off-grid home when you are away and your spouse is fairly unhappy that the electricity has gone out.

I guess that works in some situations. Based on your handle, I assume your use case is on a boat when you are there with the battery. For some of us a manual command to reconnect is problematic. Remote cabin in the mountains, or an off-grid home when you are away and your spouse is fairly unhappy that the electricity has gone out.
You could use wifi reconnect commands

I think there may be some confusion here. All of the BMS's we have been talking about - and almost all BMS's on the market - are "common port" meaning that both the load (discharge) and charge go through the same port. So you can't "only use a contactor for the load side". If the contactor cuts off the load, it also cuts off the charging.

MOSFET-based BMS's generally can separately control charging and discharging, because there are separate directional MOSFET circuits set up for each of the two current directions - In and out of the battery. A contactor is not directional, so either both charge and discharge are ON, or they are both OFF.
I would connect the load (a motor) to the battery. The BMS would be connected separately from the motor. This would give the BMS control over charge and balance and no control over load. This would be stage one for me to use a cheaper BMS to manage charge and manually monitor cell health with the bms software and pack voltage. The motor controller can be configured with current limits and upper and lower voltage limits. Yes it would be better to have a BMS that controlled the main contactor but I don't want to deal with that level of OCD for something I can monitor the health of and add safety features when they become necessary. If this was a set and forget system where common idiots were allowed access to then it needs to be as fool proof as possible. It is like changing the oil in your car.

Off-grid. I mean really, off-grid. No wi-fi at our cabin.

Edit to add: I think manually having to do something like this is counter to how I would like the system to work. I would think that would be so for most people.
So let’s say you have a charge fault , resulting in a overtemp and HVC trip. So after a while you want the BMS to reconnect that charge source automatically

Or a shorted cell and a Lvc , so reconnect the charge source automatically ?..

So let’s say you have a charge fault , resulting in a overtemp and HVC trip. So after a while you want the BMS to reconnect that charge source automatically

Or a shorted cell and a Lvc , so reconnect the charge source automatically ?..
Automatic reconnect has nothing to do with what I said. I was talking about keeping charge enabled when discharge was disabled.

You seem to be trying to start something, but I'm not particularly interested. If you are trolling me, maybe you should find a better target.

Back