diy solar

diy solar

BMW BatteryBox NMC Delivered with almost NO CHARGE almost No Voltage

davidhernandez

I took delivery of two of these...used a parallel splitter cable and Anderson quick connects to charge them up with my MPP Solar LV5048 but it will not recognize a battery with a voltage reading of 5.1 volts (manual says minimum of 42 volts)...so the one delivered at 52.5 volts charged up nicely and the one delivered at 5.1 went up to 6.1.
Tried to charge alone with the MPP Solar LV5048 but no luck...will not recognize and charge.
It will be a few months before my array is up...What other way can I charge up this battery bank to make sure it's ok? It would be a big and difficult deal to send it back.
Additional strange fact: both purchased from tech direct but both cabinets have the bigbattery.com logo plate on them.
Thank you for any suggestions!
David Hernandez

This could be a BMS problem if you got the completed units. Try taking a reading at the cells direct?

This could be a BMS problem if you got the completed units. Try taking a reading at the cells direct?
Thank you for the followup Picasso! Yes were purchased as plug and play. Would not know how to take readings at the cells nor know what equipment to buy to take readings with unfortunately.
I've attached the photos at unpacking.
At my level of knowledge at this point I'm now thinking of playing it safe and arranging a replacement with them.

Attachments

• IMG-4816.JPG
    IMG-4816.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.1 Volts.jpg
    5.1 Volts.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 22
Would want to use a multi meter and look at each module. Not sure how those are built if the voltage display thing is direct connected or on bms. You paid extra for a completed unit so you should not have to poke around in this thing. Gonna have to guess the BMS is at fault here drained the cells?

Attachments

• reading.png
    reading.png
    561.1 KB · Views: 2
Would want to use a multi meter and look at each module. Not sure how those are built if the voltage display thing is direct connected or on bms. You paid extra for a completed unit so you should not have to poke around in this thing. Gonna have to guess the BMS is at fault here drained the cells?
Thinking that BMS might have been in 'safe mode' I followed suppliers advice and used circuit breaker to turn on system for 30 seconds then shut off and then try again... also removed multiwire harness to BMS for 10 mins and then reinserted and tried again but to no avail...my inverter charger did not recognize this unit so I was out of luck.
Also noticed circuit breaker switch got wonky and would not turn off voltage display...had to wait up to 30 mins before it would snap to 'of'f like the other battery box and turn off voltage display.
Here's what the BMS setup looks like picture attached:

Attachments

• BMS.jpg
    BMS.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 13
The lag time from voltage display turn off can be from power trapped still in the BMS system or caps in a down stream device. Those display use so little power it can be some time till turning off depending how its in the system. Not a problem.

Reporting to all that TechDirectClub did a great job handling the replacement effort! Kudos to Fred - he even sent out straps so that I could secure the box to the pallet!
And Thank You to Picasso for walking me through the problem!

Back