diy solar

diy solar

Board Build

I'm not an authoritative source on DC breakers. But there is a lot to be guessed about in that video. Was it a polarized breaker? If so, it probably wasn't wired correctly. Was the breaker rated for the volts/amps that were being supplied by the PV array?

I've used my DC breakers to disconnect while under load. Not many times since the system was commissioned, but enough to see that the breakers did not fail.

@Hedges has more experience with circuit breakers and may have a better take on the video.
Agreed. My first impression as well, at the very least if he wanted to make a valid demonstration of hazard in the bare minimum he should've used probes to measure the array voltage at the circuit breaker input terminals and share the make and model of the circuit breaker used in this test or at least a close up on the circuit breaker specs on its side.

Plus, he measured 12A + ish, in the bare minimum in the case of a single solar panel that's probably about 400-450W+ panel. If an array, the voltage could've been in a few hundred volts easily.

Certainly, there was much left to be desired in that test.

Similarly to your DC CB tests, I've also tested my 1000V 50A non-polarized double pole circuit breaker by disconnecting the PV under 18A load @SCC side(near the max output limit) and nothing happened. It handled the test like a champ.

Best,
D.

Back