diy solar

diy solar

Boat setup nuances

JFB

Hi all.

I've recently bought 4x new Lead Acid batteries for my boat. They are 12v 130AH Group 31 each.

batteries:

The plan is to keep them in tip top shape for as long as I can. I have two fridges on my boat pulling about 96 Amps a day. So I have 2 to 2.5 days of autonomy before I need to start the engines or the generator. For this reason, I've also purchased 2x Renogy flexible 175W panels and a Victron 100/50 controller.

Panels:

Victron 100/50:

My generator connects to a 12V 50amp Charles C-Charger. Shore Power also engages the Charles C-Charger.

My complete system is all factory inter-connected. I have 2x older Group 31 lead acid starter batteries, my 4x new lead acid house batteries and 1x new group 27 bow thruster battery.

I have a few questions.

1. I will connect my 4 new batteries in parallel. The old batteries were connected in parallel before, but not the right way. The first battery was connected to the load/charger and the other three were connected behind. My 4x house batteries are not all grouped together, there are 2 on the left side of the engine bay and 2 on the right side of the engine bay. I have two options to connect them in parallel. The first option is via bus bar, but this means a lot of battery wire ($$) as they must all be the same length. The second option is "perfectly balanced charging" as per this article (less cable, less $$):

Are both options the same when it comes to charging?

2. I'm worried about my boat when it is ashore and left unattended for a week or so. When I'm at the dock, the boat is connected to 50 amp shore power and my Charles charger is charging all my batteries. My solar system will also be charging my batteries at that time when installed. I cannot modify the charging setting of my Charles charger. It will bulk charge until 14.5 volts, absorb for 4 hours and then float at 13.6 volts. The new battery manufacturer recommends bulk at 14.8 volts and float at 13.5 volts. If I program the Victron 100/50 to bulk at 14.8 volts, my Charles charger will go into absorption and float before my Victron, and I'm not sure that is so great. So the question is should I configure my Victron exactly like my Charles charger when it comes to bulk, absorption and float in order to have shore and solar power act in unison? Or maybe should I just turn off the solar charging in the Victron when the boat is at dock for a week on shore power?

3. I've looked all over the internet, even between the internet couch cushions to find the answer to this one. Is there a recommended or generic lead acid bulk charge voltage, absorption voltage and time, and float voltage? Or is it battery dependant? Seems every lead acid battery I look at has a different bulk voltage, and a different float voltage. I'm just not sure anymore.

4. What is a good temperature compensation factor in mV/*C for a lead acid battery. I want to program the Victron, and I don't know that value, and my battery manufacturer cannot provide one.

5. For my installation, I will connect the Victron 100/50 battery (+) to the positive side of my bank via a 55 amp fuse. If the Victron sends too much, the fuse will blow and protect my battery bank. But what happens to the energy sent by the solar panels to the Victron? The Victron will receive voltage and current from the solar panels. Will this burn out my controller? Should I put a breaker or a fuse between the panels and the controller? Even if I do that, if the solar panels are disconnected from the controller because of an open breaker, they still create energy. Where does that energy go? Do the panels heat up to the point of failure?

Thanks for the insight. This helps a lot.

JF

Is the Charles charger from land power and Victron from the solar?

I would set the one that you want to be the main charging source at the higher voltage.

When a fuse blows the victor only has to stop the voltage because without voltage current goes no where and it is made to stop voltage IMHO...That max value it can handle is in the specs of the Victron and you panels need to be sized/wired to accommodate.

Love the word Autonomy, it is used frequently and I think it is being used out of contest....not to pick on you....but many use it and I think it is used wrong, kind of want to know what others think...

Is the Charles charger from land power and Victron from the solar?

I would set the one that you want to be the main charging source at the higher voltage.

When a fuse blows the victor only has to stop the voltage because without voltage current goes no where and it is made to stop voltage IMHO...That max value it can handle is in the specs of the Victron and you panels need to be sized/wired to accommodate.

Love the word Autonomy, it is used frequently and I think it is being used out of contest....not to pick on you....but many use it and I think it is used wrong, kind of want to know what others think...
Charles charger is from land and generator power, Victron from solar only.

When at dock, Charles charger will be main charger, when on water, solar will be main charger. By higher voltage, do you mean 0.1 volts above the other one?

Charles charger is from land and generator power, Victron from solar only.

When at dock, Charles charger will be main charger, when on water, solar will be main charger. By higher voltage, do you mean 0.1 volts above the other one?
Yes, but a clamp on amp meter might help to tell which is pulling the most power and how much different to make, like .2 might be better.....do you have a power source preference? Like in a house, you don't want to use grid because it cost you, but on a boat dock you can use as much as power as you want from the grid?

Yes, but a clamp on amp meter might help to tell which is pulling the most power and how much different to make, like .2 might be better.....do you have a power source preference? Like in a house, you don't want to use grid because it cost you, but on a boat dock you can use as much as power as you want from the grid?
I don't have a preference. Dock power is unlimited. My main concern is making sure both power sources work hand in hand, are both happy and are not damaging my batteries. I am worried having two charging sources might create a conflict and/or damage the batteries.

many use it and I think it is used wrong, kind of want to know what others think..
It is used wrongly quite often.
We use it colloquially because it is intuitively understood and the only banal word that comes close is “independent” which does not contain the emotional nuance that we derive from “autonomous.” When we misapply it in a portmanteau-like manner to mean “a self-sustaining independent power source” it gives action and emotional weight.

Back