diy solar

diy solar

Bogart Engineering Controllers and Monitors

jeffreezeyeti

I have had the sc-2030 and tm-2030 for a few years now. I hope this thread can be a place to discuss anything to do with user thoughts and experiences with Bogart Engineering. I would say this is a neutral to positive experience which I hope will make sense after this post. Their communication is always great, they are quick to respond right away, I have been happy with the system but I would still consider myself a beginner.

They just came out with their WiFi module the WF-2030 for remote monitoring. I purchased the module and after I installed and did a full charge, I was still having issues. I could view live data but I could not change the parameters, the replaced percentage charge was not updating, percent full was not updating, and the temperature reading only updated once. It also showed at the top of the webpage viewer that the tm-2030 was not connected, although I was getting some of the live readings.

So I contacted Bogart and they called right away to tell me my monitor and charge controller firmware was outdated. I had totally skimmed over the description of the WiFi module where it says it is not compatible with older versions of the firmware. Since I never had issues I never considered version updates. Version updates are not covered by warranty.

I have monitor version 2.2 and controller version 1.1B from my purchase in January of 2016. Bogart told me to send them the controller, monitor and the WiFi module and they will upgrade the firmware for a charge of $35. This is why I chose to share my experience, because I didn't read properly it is going to cost me another $50-60 on top of the cost of $99 for the module. So that's ~$150 plus the initial cost of a a monitor and a controller.
This puts me at ~$577.38 shipping included, for a complete system which includes the shunt, and the meter wiring harness. Battery and panels excluded.

I would like to see thoughts and experiences with Bogart and possibly comparisons to other products and costs. Basically is Bogart the best bang for the buck, why or why not?

Update: They are waiving the $35 firmware fee.

Last edited:
I have the sc-2030 and tm-2030 in my travel trailer, 420W of solar and two Group 31 AGM batteries. It has been working flawlessly for over 5 years. I've only needed to contact Bogart one time during set up. Fantastic customer service.....

But, were I to do it today,. I'm not sure I'd use Bogart. I think technology has moved on a bit. I really like the RENOGY Dc to DC charger with solar controller......In fact, at some point I might go in this direction......Or, when my AGM batteries finally give up the ghost, I'd go LiPo and I'm not convinced the SC-2030 is best for charging LiPo.......

I have the sc-2030 and tm-2030 in my travel trailer, 420W of solar and two Group 31 AGM batteries. It has been working flawlessly for over 5 years. I've only needed to contact Bogart one time during set up. Fantastic customer service.....

But, were I to do it today,. I'm not sure I'd use Bogart. I think technology has moved on a bit. I really like the RENOGY Dc to DC charger with solar controller......In fact, at some point I might go in this direction......Or, when my AGM batteries finally give up the ghost, I'd go LiPo and I'm not convinced the SC-2030 is best for charging LiPo.......

Renogy DC to DC for a 40amp

It costs $190, with the temperature sensor added on Amazon. I like how it has the capability to do the starter battery as well as the aux battery.

SC-2030 30 amp is $152 with the temp sensor but it does not have the dual battery capability. I don't know if you would use an isolator or combiner to achieve the same dual battery feature, I've not required one in my vehicle.

So it looks like the renogy is more plug and play with more features, and ends up possibly cheaper than the Bogart depending on how you add a dual battery feature, SC could end up cheaper but with extra steps. The Renogy is also capable of handling ten more amps of solar than the Bogart SC. They both claim lipo charging but I also agree im not convinced yet.

This puts me at ~$577.38 shipping included, for a complete system which includes the shunt, and the meter wiring harness.

Their website now says the entire package - monitor, controller, wifi unit, shunt, etc - is $400 with shipping.

SC-2030 30 amp is $152 with the temp sensor but it does not have the dual battery capability. I don't know if you would use an isolator or combiner to achieve the same dual battery feature, I've not required one in my vehicle.

The SC-2030 is a robust current limiting (30 Amps max) switch. Hook up any DC source to its input - solar, DC power supply, alternator - and it'll charge the batteries. We have fitted several overland research vehicles with 2 or 3 SC-2030s and wired them such that the house batteries (lithium) can be charged with solar or alternator. Two such vehicles spent months roaming the Canadian NW totally off-grid.

The alternator is not limited in any way. The controller measures the current & modulates the connection to keep the current at or below 30 Amps. Exactly how solar chargers handle current during the absorb stage.

Their website now says the entire package - monitor, controller, wifi unit, shunt, etc - is $400 with shipping.
Yes it’s fair to mention their new package deal. However when I purchased it was 2016 and they did not offer a WiFi module.

The SC-2030 is a robust current limiting (30 Amps max) switch. Hook up any DC source to its input - solar, DC power supply, alternator - and it'll charge the batteries. We have fitted several overland research vehicles with 2 or 3 SC-2030s and wired them such that the house batteries (lithium) can be charged with solar or alternator. Two such vehicles spent months roaming the Canadian NW totally off-grid.

This does not get around having a different starting battery than the aux battery and using one single controller. You quoted part of what I said, but I was talking about using a controller to charge two different types of batteries at the same time and not a multiple battery bank. So say you have a 60ah lead acid battery paired with a 100 ah lithium aux battery, you can't just directly wire those two together and charge them with one SC controller like the Renogy the other guy mentioned.

It is nice to hear of some lithium charging in the field.

I would rather not use my alternator to charge my aux battery, it is not a cheap type of alternator to replace. I like the idea of charging both with solar. For my needs I will probably never even need the starter battery charged but it would be convenient to have an automatic solar charge if I were to ever leave lights on or something, so far that hasn't happened for over ten years, knock on wood!

They just came out with their WiFi module the WF-2030 for remote monitoring. I purchased the module and after I installed and did a full charge, I was still having issues. I could view live data but I could not change the parameters, the replaced percentage charge was not updating, percent full was not updating, and the temperature reading only updated once. It also showed at the top of the webpage viewer that the tm-2030 was not connected, although I was getting some of the live readings.
OMG – I feel SO much better after reading this. I just installed a WF-2030 and thought I was losing my mind. Catch is, Bogart told me I shouldn't need any firmware updates since my SC and TM units were both ordered from them within the last year. Guess I need to confirm that.

I hope this thread (or others?) can serve as a place for us to help each other and LEARN how to optimize the Bogart system. I've played with the parameters some to maximize charging, but I haven't yet been able to get specific gravity up to 1.275 as recommended by the battery manufacturer.

SO BOGART has until about a year ago been the GOLD STANDARD for monitoring. We have sooo many BOGART monitors at work it looks like we are a supply store for them. They are easy to set up - (ONCE you know how) - and their customer service is beyond compare. They will actually answer not only your email BUT your phone calls. I like BOGART so much that I was actually thinking of naming my first born after them ...

BUT times has changed -- at least from where i sit -- technology has gotten lighter, faster, cheaper, better. not saying that I still don't respect BOGART (I do and always will) but there are other vendors out there that has stayed up with current technology a little better ... Vendors that provide wifi and bluetooth from the start -- that have much better visualization (with BOGART you only get to see one thing at one time - while you push the button) ... - newer technologies that allow you to track multiple batteries on the same apparatus ... that provides logging ... and history ... and cool screens and blah blah blah... maybe because I grew up with a smartphone and multi-tasking devices since birth, but I sort of like to see the entire picture all at once ... and able to change a parameter by typing the number in instead of pushing 8 buttons UP DOWN LEFT and then RIGHT..

I also like to be back at the apartment and be able to see 100 remote systems all at once on a laptop ... or on my Android if I am out if one of my Techs is having an issue ..

BOGART is sort of the VINYL record of the industry ... the 1967 Chevy Corvette ... worth every penny and does a phenomenal job ... but for some of us ... we are looking for a TESLA ROADSTER ... it all depends on what YOU enjoy ...

Good review, GW. Thanks. Being that this is my first solar system (and first travel trailer with power) I plan on learning all I can with and about the Bogart system and lead acid batteries. I don't know how long we'll keep this trailer, so I'll hold off on upgrading to a "Tesla Roadster" system. (That sounds like a good plan for when we upgrade the RV!)

For now, I want to squeeze every last drop of performance possible out of these 6v 260Ah wet cells. Once I'm convinced I have, I may consider upgrading the batteries. Our usage needs are still TBD, so I need to live with it a while...

Question – are you also using Bogart chargers, or just the monitors? If so, any with wet cell batteries? Do you have links to threads discussing any of that? I just got here and have a lot of reading to do!

Good review, GW. Thanks. Being that this is my first solar system (and first travel trailer with power) I plan on learning all I can with and about the Bogart system and lead acid batteries. I don't know how long we'll keep this trailer, so I'll hold off on upgrading to a "Tesla Roadster" system. (That sounds like a good plan for when we upgrade the RV!)

For now, I want to squeeze every last drop of performance possible out of these 6v 260Ah wet cells. Once I'm convinced I have, I may consider upgrading the batteries. Our usage needs are still TBD, so I need to live with it a while...

Question – are you also using Bogart chargers, or just the monitors? If so, any with wet cell batteries? Do you have links to threads discussing any of that? I just got here and have a lot of reading to do!

NO to the BOGART chargers -- we just could not justify the cost when identical capabilities are out there for much cheaper ..

YES when we switched from Lead Acid to LiFePO4 we kept the exact same BOGART setup -- all we did was go in and changed the BOGART parameters ... took about 30 seconds ...

When I decided to go with the Bogart system 5 years ago, I made sure that I could use it with LFP. But I agree with ghostwriter, its day in the sun is done.

I will continue to use it until it fails, then I will upgrade.

I found that Ralph himself answered all my questions back then. But no more. I tried to buy the Bluetooth when it first Came out. E-mailed twice, got blown off. It sounds like it was a good thing or I would have needed a firmware upgrade. I had a problem with the SC2030 solar controller (was my fault, not the there's ) The cost would have been 30 fewer dollars' than buying a new one. I just fixed it myself.

I tried to buy the Bluetooth when it first Came out. E-mailed twice, got blown off.
lol. I thought he was blowing me off too and finally called him. He found both my emails in his spam folder and was VERY apologetic. Sounds like he must have some pretty aggressive spam filters...

Last edited:
A Google alert brought this thread to our attention. We're a small team of physicists, chemists, & electronics engineers. Happy to answer any general questions relating to our products here, as well as questions relating to solar (PV, thermal), battery, energy storage & related fields. For customer/tech support, please contact us thru our website. Will also post this in the intro thread. Thanks.

I found that Ralph himself answered all my questions back then. But no more. I tried to buy the Bluetooth when it first Came out. E-mailed twice, got blown off. It sounds like it was a good thing or I would have needed a firmware upgrade. I had a problem with the SC2030 solar controller (was my fault, not the there's ) The cost would have been 30 fewer dollars' than buying a new one. I just fixed it myself.
We still answer phone calls & emails. However, it's hard to maintain 100% response rate, considering that we get a lot of spam calls & emails.

Back