diy solar

diy solar

Bonded neutral generator: transfer switch options?

Consumerbot3418

Fitting square pegs into round holes... for fun?
It's important to use a transfer switch that also switches neutral, when using a bonded generator, I'm convinced. But how? I found this 3 pole, double throw safety switch, but the $600+ price tag has me weighing my options, and trying to get creative.

Would it be possible (code compliant) to just put a 3 pole safety switch on each input, and carefully switch one off, before switching the other on? It would achieve (nearly) the same thing, and save about $500!

Or, could a receptacle be wired to the generator output, another to the grid-sourced output, and then a matching plug be fitted to feed my load panel? No risk of having both sources connected that way... I'm guessing there's some kind of NEC against feeding a panel with a plug (as so many RVs do), but I couldn't arrive at a definitive answer whilst researching. If UL plugs and receptacles are used, and it's not against code, it would be a safe and durable solution to my problem.

I also considered a DIN rail mounted contactor-based solution like this. I assume it would be code compliant, but I'd rather not trust a cheap/no-name, non-UL component for such a critical task.

Thoughts? Anyone else found a safe (code-compliant), affordable way to do this?

Is 50 amp enough? https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD52V-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B003VAWNVK

This one will switch automatic after a delay for the generator to stablize.
Yes, it is, and I actually considered using an RV transfer switch like that… a few years ago, I wired one in my fifth wheel camper with 30A service. I think I might even have one laying around somewhere, lol!

But I’d really tend towards wanting something that is UL approved and NEC compliant. I might need to look into this option further. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back