diy solar

diy solar

Bonding ground and neutral, in a solar generator?

jdege

Suppose I had a boat with a shore power connection and an inverter/charger.

When running from shore power I would not want neutral tied to ground, because they should be done in the shore power panel. If I running from the inverter, I should have them tied on the boat. And, as I understand it, inverter/chargers have a relay that will open or close the tie as needed.

Again, AIUI, standalone generators usually tie neutral to ground.

So, if I took a suitcase generator and plugged it into the shore power outlet on my boat, the generator would tie N<=>G, and the inverter/charger would open the relay.

Now suppose I had a solar power station, like the Bluetti AC200MAX that I was using as a house bank, temporarily. When plugged into shore power the AC circuits would be live, so I could plug in the 120 charger and charge the AC200MAX.

And then when I was not connected to shore power I could unplug the Bluetti's charger, turn on it's inverter, and connect it's 30A AC outlet to the boat's shore power socket, and AC circuits on the boat should work.

But what about the N<=>G tie? The inverter/charger would not make the tie, expecting that the shore panel would.

Does the Bluetti's inverter tie neutral to ground?

Will Prowse covered this subject on YT. Recently discussing the Ecoflow Delta with regard to charging a Tesla EV. If you look through his videos you will find the subject of grounding is thoroughly dissected.

Back