diy solar

diy solar

Boost charging fully charged battery?

Hauxihaux

Sorry for reposting this question. I already posted it in beginners corner but realized here might be the better spot for it and i feel some urgency as im afraid that my system might be getting damaged by a faulty charge controller.

Yesterday i finally installed my first pv system. At first everything seemed to be working perfectly, but slowly im beginning to doubt the correct functioning of my renogy rover 40a controller. The first red flags came up when i noticed that the battery state of discharge didnt seem to be working properly. I have two 12v 100ah battle born batteries wired in series. Even after putting on some test loads of a full washing machine cycle and some jigsaw work the battery never discharged more than 90%. This on a super cloudy and rainy day. According to my controller, it took the battery about 10 minutes to reach 100% charge again (i have 660w on the roof). Now, whats confusing me even more, is that the charge controller has jumped into boost mode twice in a row, despite indicating the battery as fully charged. Is this normal? At the same time the over voltage error started coming up on the display for a few minutes before disappearing again. Im worried something is working incorrectly and that i might be harming some of my system components..

Last edited:
Don't cross post. Next time, report your post and ask it to be moved.

Original thread:

Back