diy solar

diy solar

Boosting Victon Bluetooth transmission range

Ramjet3

I have a solar controller, that is installed in a remote building on my property, which emits a Bluetooth signal that is 80 feet away from my house. I can connect to the controller through the Bluetooth signal if I am 10 to 15 ft away, but not at the 80ft plus inside my home.

Is there a device that can relay or boost the existing signal the Bluetooth?

I have a solar controller, that is installed in a remote building on my property, which emits a Bluetooth signal that is 80 feet away from my house. I can connect to the controller through the Bluetooth signal if I am 10 to 15 ft away, but not at the 80ft plus inside my home.

Is there a device that can relay or boost the existing signal the Bluetooth?
Why don't you use VE Direct to connect remotely?

well, you could us a small device such as a raspberry pi or ESP32 to acts as a bridge and route the short range bluetooth data over a longer range protocol such as wifi. Another choice given the distance and no idea what is in the path is to use the same type of devices (pi/esp32) but use a LoRa band device which can easity cover that distance. Later version of bluetooth have longer range but that may not be something you can change.
Without know exactly which devices you have its hard to recommend any helpful "modification" (translate that as warranty breaking).
Easiest is just to use a very small low power device to get the data locally (bluetooth or serial) and "bridge" it to another longer range wireless protocol. it is not as hard as it sounds...

Is there a device that can relay or boost the existing signal of
well, you could us a small device such as a raspberry pi or ESP32 to acts as a bridge and route the short range bluetooth data over a longer range protocol such as wifi. Another choice given the distance and no idea what is in the path is to use the same type of devices (pi/esp32) but use a LoRa band device which can easity cover that distance. Later version of bluetooth have longer range but that may not be something you can change.
Without know exactly which devices you have its hard to recommend any helpful "modification" (translate that as warranty breaking).
Easiest is just to use a very small low power device to get the data locally (bluetooth or serial) and "bridge" it to another longer range wireless protocol. it is not as hard as it sounds...
Thank you, I have access to a pi, so I will do some research.
the Bluetooth?

Hopefully, you are still around to answer a couple of questions about bridging bluetooth to wifi using a raspberry PI.

I have a Victron Smart Shunt in my solar electrical room. The shunt uses bluetooth which can be connected to with a smart phone and has all i need to monitor. Great device and app, but 20ft of bluetooth is not cutting it.

how would i connect the pi to be a gateway from the victron smartshunt to wifi? I have one.

Back