diy solar

diy solar

Boris the bus

Don B. Cilly

Energetic energy padawan
Temporary accommodation. We're building a little house.

b.jpg

Being temporary, I didn't waste much time on fine points. I just took the seats out, put some floorboards and some stuff from the ex-house in.
Water I get from a neighbour (he sold me the land, he's an old friend). Now that was the essential bit :·)

Electricity - not quite as essential, but hey. I have two panels on the roof - flexible ones, ten years old. I really don't feel like going up there to take pics.
They're good. Some 150W each, monocrystalline. Leftovers from an old (yes, ten years or so :·) project that fizzled. I'm sure you're familiar with those ;·)
Plus a third one that I don't want to show :) because... it's temporary, it'll move to the house soon... tux, laundry, locusts... it's a 450W (rated) monocrys that's basically a solar nuclear power station - it gives me way more than I need ATM. On a reasonably sunny day, batteries are fully charged by 11 AM.
I also have two polycrys panels someone gave me... they're just collecting dirt under a tree, I quite dislike poly.

The batteries:

bat.jpg

They're two 230 Ah (the bus's own), in series for 24V - the bus runs on 24V - that are some 12 years old and... in not very good shape.
I just paralleled two 80Ah ones that, though cheap and basically Made in Mongolia, at least are new, to... help keep morale up ;·)
They're starter batteries, as far from ideal as it gets, but then, what you get is what you got (or what you got is what you get...:·)

We are getting new batteries (hopefully) tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I have fridges :)

fr.jpg

Well, one is gas, and not in use ATM. Kept for rainy days ;·) and such.

I have stereo equipment:

st.jpg

I even installed my wood stove in case the house takes longer then expected:

stv.jpg

I have a cheap inverter:

inv.jpg

3KW. Not very good. It's actually an all-in-one, except... I just use it as an inverter.
For that, it's OK. As a PV charger, silly. It huffs and puffs (the fan does) when it's cold and at low charge.
As a generator charger... long story. Basically useless.

Hey, it's all temporary, as cheap as it get and quite jury-rigged, but... I'm quite happy with it :)

Speakers are Technics. The "tuner" is a cheapish CD/tuner/turntable/card-reader I got as a temporary replacement for my broken turntable, which is actually quite decent (well the speakers help ;·)

Back