diy solar

diy solar

Bouge MC4

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
The Bouge RV MC4 crimpers with six pairs of connectors for 8ga got used today. The gusting 40mph winds at my elevation blew the 8ga solar wires around enough to snap an MC4 electrical female which apparently caused some resistance. I assume.
The sun has peeked out after days of overcast this morning and I looked at the SCC only to be shocked to see 44V!!! Battery charge displayed 13.4V and 17A going in. Surprised actually. Very surprised at the 44V.

A few minutes later it got even brighter and I glanced back out of curiosity only to find a flashing display. So as it turns out the 20A fuse that’s been in from day one- four years- blew out. Looks like my confidence in 8ga let me neglect to replace the fuse but I guess the 38*F temps and the broken MC4 I discovered combined to exceed 20A output from the epever 40AN.
I put a 30A in and called it good but I think I’ll drop to 25 and see what transpires.

Anyway- are the Bouge MC4s actually better than others?

I’ve had 6 or 7 broken MC4s over four years or so which of course renders them not waterproof. And I don’t mean breaking taken them apart: breaking later. The one that broke was new a few weeks back btw, not Bouge but a four-pair noname package I bought.

Using the Bouge MC4 wrenches was nice, too. We’ll see if the Bouge connectors also break in time but they worked nicely and connected into their bodies well. I need to setup the roof-mount for multiple panels and fasten the wires I guess, but it’s happened before with zip-tied cables, so….

Back