diy solar

diy solar

Bought a Solar-Powered Golf Cart

cgjog182

Purchased a solar-powered golf cart. It's great except the batteries really don't get charged when the cart is out in the sun. The batteries are 8v Trojans FLA and it is a 48v system. There is a solar panel roof which has a placard that says SPSM- 230D underneath. I googled that designation and it seems to be some type of Made in China system that doesn't have a good name. What can I do to improve things and get the system running properly? Please speak to me like you would speak to a three year old. I have no electrical aptitude.

The golf cart needs a much bigger panel areas than your golf cart has. Your batteries have around 8.6kwh of power, and your roof I’m guessing has 300 watts of power. That will only put in 600 wh of power in the winter, and maybe 1.3 kwh in the summer.

For golf carts that are used every day, these roofs don’t provide a lot of power.

To set a solar panel kit for your 48v golf cart system, except the solar panel, you'll also need a step-up charger to convert the 12v power from solar panel to 48v for charging.

For more information, there is one guide for build solar kit on golf cart:

I have four HQST 12V 100W panels in series and it keeps the cart charged, but granted I don’t drive it every day and I get strong Texas sun. Primary intent was to extend the battery life during hurricane rolling blackouts for running my 2500W inverter.

Attachments

• golf cart.jpg
    golf cart.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 7
Back