diy solar

diy solar

Brackets for a Feather edged close boarded roof.

ChrisJE

Suggestions for Panel Brackets on a Feather edged close boarded roof please.

My West Sussex house (UK) has a 'closely boarded' roof using 'Feather Edge' boards I'm hoping to put 7 Panels on the sloping roof and another 6 on our flat roof.

Hopefully my photo explains what 'closely boarded' roof and 'Feather Edge' boards are like.

My diagram shows the problem with typical brackets that the panels 'D' would not be in line with the brackets 'B' due to the feather edged boards.

There are I think 4 solutions

1. Special brackets, I've looked hard and cannot find any
2. Modify standard brackets I think heat will be necessary!
3. Cut out the thin end of the feather boarding 'C'
4. Put another feather edge board on the roof 'upside down'. The downside of this is that the panels will end up about 1" (25mm) further off the roof and the brackets might foul on the tiles.

I do realise that options 1, 2 & 4 won't help locating accurately the roof trusses

I'm new to the forum and hope I've posted appropriately. If there is a better place on this site or another site to post such questions please do let me know.
IMG_20220705_191139180.jpg

Welcome!

Sorry I can’t quite wrap my head around your roofing situation. But glad you found something that works.

In case it helps anyone else here is a photo of a feather edged close boarded roof (Quite common on 1920's/1930's roofs I'm told by a roofer)IMG_20220708_081056828_HDR.jpg

Got it. Shakes or shingles. Western red cedar also. Mostly banned down south (US) due to burning so well.

He is referring to the decking boards underneath that are tapperd from thick on top to thin on bottom.
My guess is those tapped boards are to prevent the ceramic shingles from breaking when being walked on.

I would think a bracket that slides underneath the shingles would work.

Back