diy solar

diy solar

Brainstorming they say...

Weldman

Sunlight Welder
I got an slew of information to brainstorm over. Bought (24) Trina 395W Bi-Facial panels that need to go about 750 feet to charge controller and the system is 48V. So question is how would you set it up series or parallel and what would you use for charge controllers to harness such power? Currently have Midnite Classic 150 SL to add to the mix which can be tossed for other uses if need be.
Here is the numbers of the panels to add to the equation.Screenshot_2021-03-23 395 W Trina Solar Panel-TSM-395DEG15HC 20 Bifacial-Qty of 20 -7 9 KW-144...png

Running 48VDC over 750' ? Ohhh you are gonna have issues with that idea, DC and Long Runs is not fun and problematic "at best".
May be more prudent to build an individual Power House close to the panels and run AC from there to your target buildings. AC can travel distance easily, the saving on wire alone would likely cover the cost of building the little powerhouse.

That amount of panels will require multiple SCC's daisy chained together. The Classic 150SL can chain (using Follow-Me) to other Midnite Classics. The availability of the SL is not known anymore.

At a conceptual level wire loss is the issue over distance. Increasing wire size is one solution to compare with increasing voltage of the charge controller input voltage. The one variable you cannot change is battery voltage. Also, Aluminum is less expensive than copper but it takes larger aluminum wires to get same wire loss.
As @Steve_S points out, you may want to also consider the cost of Powerhouse in that analysis.

Last edited:
750 feet is a nightmare.

Toss the Classic now.

Parallel should be done only when necessary.

You need to familiarize yourself with this tool:

24 * 395W = 9480W of power

9480W/48V= 198A of charge current

Voc 49.7V (rounding to 50).
Vmp 40.6V
Isc 10.29
Imp 9.73

Schnieder makes a spendy 80A, 600V SCC.

600V/50V = 12 panels in series. You need to leave some cold temperature margins, so you would fall back to 8 panels in series with 3 in parallel

For the voltage drop calculator, you look at Vmp and Isc as worst cases:

8S3P array produces 397.6V and 30.87A

Running 3 sets of 8awg from the array to THREE separate 80A/600V Schnieder controllers (about $1200 each), will produce a 2.44% voltage drop - pretty good.

If you could get away with 22 panels...

11S2P. You could probably get away with 2X SCC only losing a little of the array's performance at peak output.

547V, 20.58A - 1.77% voltage drop, and you're only running 2 sets of 8awg conductors rather than 3 and saving $1200 on a 3rd charge controller and $XX on two less panels.

Of course if you need the extra 800W, it won't work.

This is a dance of wire cost vs. equipment cost.

You could make it work with your Classic, but you'd have to run two pairs of 4/0 conductors 750 feet... That might be a bit expensive.

Actually I see some people are here from Midnites website and I see some from Solar Panel Talk here too, looks like I found the place where all congregate.
Anywho I am not running the 48VDC that far I am running the voltage of said panels that far and see Schneider has a 100A 600VOC unit which as Snoobler pointed out I could run 11S2P with it. Won't keep it at 750' ft forever only reason going this far of distance is where the RV rig is we live in till house gets built and there is no way I can put the rig closer with landscape here. When house is built it will be about 350' distance.
Thought about tossing the Classic and keeping it for RV rig when it hits the road so now I see it's confirmed to toss it from the mix then I will do so.
Also seen they have 2kV aluminum solar wire is what I am going to use. I just wanted to make sure I had my numbers right and by the responses I did. Reason I bought 24 panels was so 2 can be spare/power odd things, I was just seeing if it was possible to add them in the 11S2P thing but as everyone pointed out it won't work unless I bought 9 more panels and had 3 Schneiders.
Here is the calculations I came out to after tinkering around...Screenshot_2021-03-23 MidNite Solar - Classic Sizing Tool .png

Won't keep it at 750' ft forever only reason going this far of distance is where the RV rig is we live in till house gets built and there is no way I can put the rig closer with landscape here. When house is built it will be about 350' distance.
It sounds like your goal is to build your ground based array once. This is a good goal but with the wiring challenges, have you considered roughing out an array temporarily closer to your RV until your house is built?

It sounds like your goal is to build your ground based array once. This is a good goal but with the wiring challenges, have you considered roughing out an array temporarily closer to your RV until your house is built?
Yes I have but to have that many panels in a temp set up is asking for trouble here, i.e. right now winds are gusting to 65 mph and to have few instead of all panels is not enough for the stuff I do. I am trying to get enough power for running power tools and welding without running genset. Max amperage my welding machine pulls is 30A but that’s part of the problem, wife likes to run power tools too while I’m running power tools while powering up a RV rig.

This what I see in what is needed in wire size or smaller, and how much it will cost for 4 wires at said length. Does this look right?13F5B4FF-5472-470F-9841-B9E07B8A751C.png293C2730-3DF4-400F-A976-CBF5CF507D84.png

Actually I see some people are here from Midnites website and I see some from Solar Panel Talk here too, looks like I found the place where all congregate.
Anywho I am not running the 48VDC that far I am running the voltage of said panels that far and see Schneider has a 100A 600VOC unit which as Snoobler pointed out I could run 11S2P with it. Won't keep it at 750' ft forever only reason going this far of distance is where the RV rig is we live in till house gets built and there is no way I can put the rig closer with landscape here. When house is built it will be about 350' distance.
Thought about tossing the Classic and keeping it for RV rig when it hits the road so now I see it's confirmed to toss it from the mix then I will do so.
Also seen they have 2kV aluminum solar wire is what I am going to use. I just wanted to make sure I had my numbers right and by the responses I did. Reason I bought 24 panels was so 2 can be spare/power odd things, I was just seeing if it was possible to add them in the 11S2P thing but as everyone pointed out it won't work unless I bought 9 more panels and had 3 Schneiders.
Here is the calculations I came out to after tinkering around...View attachment 42981

Not sure what you're looking for. The MidNite won't work for this application.

11S2P would work with 2X of the Schnieders - didn't realize they were 100A - that means you're good to go on capturing the whole array.

2 pairs of 8awg (COPPER) from panels to SCC will have < 2% drop. Win.

This what I see in what is needed in wire size or smaller, and how much it will cost for 4 wires at said length. Does this look right?View attachment 42997View attachment 43000

Anything less than 2-3% over 750ft is something to be proud of. I wouldn't shoot for < 1%.

You will need to run FOUR wires from the array - a pair of wires for each MPPT. Technically, you have two separate 11S arrays.

Per the above, 6awg aluminum (4 total wires for 750 feet) is a 1.88% voltage drop.

Not sure what you're looking for. The MidNite won't work for this application.

11S2P would work with 2X of the Schnieders - didn't realize they were 100A - that means you're good to go on capturing the whole array.

2 pairs of 8awg (COPPER) from panels to SCC will have < 2% drop. Win.
Was looking to make sure my math was right before switching the flip and lighting up the whole hillside like Independence day celebration and if there might of been anything I missed in variables on ways I could make this more effective.

Anything less than 2-3% over 750ft is something to be proud of. I wouldn't shoot for < 1%.

You will need to run FOUR wires from the array - a pair of wires for each MPPT. Technically, you have two separate 11S arrays.

Per the above, 6awg aluminum (4 total wires for 750 feet) is a 1.88% voltage drop.
It’s what I said I would need 4 wires and all of equal size per NEC.

The MidNite calculator and my numbers mesh. I'm certainly confident of the data I'm providing.

You seem to have quite a bit of panels. Do you live in the sun belt? In any case my guess is that you have way more juice than you need. Welders or not. What are you are willing to give up in line losses? In better terms, how much power do you need I expect you would do fine in a RV with half the power those panels are putting out.

I am off grid and totally pleased with a pair of 2kW solar arrays. I run welders off of those panels too.

You seem to have quite a bit of panels. Do you live in the sun belt? In any case my guess is that you have way more juice than you need. Welders or not. What are you are willing to give up in line losses? In better terms, how much power do you need I expect you would do fine in a RV with half the power those panels are putting out.

I am off grid and totally pleased with a pair of 2kW solar arrays. I run welders off of those panels too.
What thickness are you welding? I can pull up to 50 amps on my welder and it has inverter technology which I mostly pull around 30 amps AC which according to my calculations 6600 watts and up. Not wanting to turn all the lights out and appliances in the house or RV to weld.
No I don't live in the sun belt I live in Big Sky Country as they call it here in Montana.
This is not just for my RV it's for my future home here, I already have a system that's for the RV but just like pulling a plug out of a wall outlet the DC and AC do the same on the RV, it's how I designed it.
Look close in first picture you can see one of two portable racks I welded for panels, and that's us on the Grand Canyon, who needs an RV park when you have enough power and water for weeks at a time...
All was done with marine grade hardware including wiring from Ancor based on ABYC and NEC's.Grand Canyon.jpegPart0_17.jpgPart0_16.jpg

WAIT!!! I had an epiphany... besides the 11S2P I can take one of the 2 spare solar panels and put in a DC fence charger (electric fence). Won't need many batteries as there will be a timer it runs on it. Had horses break my fence that I use to keep horses out (ironic) with and destroyed some of my property.

My neighbor has a 2 mile long electric fence (around my parcel as well), and 200W is more than enough to keep the 12V charged, so you should be able to turn the zapper up to 11!

My neighbor has a 2 mile long electric fence (around my parcel as well), and 200W is more than enough to keep the 12V charged, so you should be able to turn the zapper up to 11!
At this rate sounds like I can also power up a gate opener too! Will feel bad if I went that luxurious out here, one neighbor 3 miles out burns her house to ground every few years other ones live in campers/RV's on gensets (me and wife placing bets before they burn out) and another has dirt floor shack built from scraps.

Back