diy solar

diy solar

Breaker Hold-Downs

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Just found out about breaker hold-down kits!
accessories-eaton_type_br_circuit_breaker_hold-down_screw_kit_for_enpower.png

As I understand it, they screw a back-fed breaker down to the backplane so you can't pull it out. $3 at Home Depot, $26 in the Enphase store not including shipping.

The idea is to use them on breakers that energize the backplane (e.g., where your 240V PV line enters) to prevent accidental shock. Although not knowing about them previously I probably would have just sworn at them and undid it without thinking about them being back-fed. A hazard of being an ignorant DIYer.

An attached label DANGER! This breaker may be live even if the grid is disconnected, would certainly be more useful to me other than being confused at why that one breaker was screwed in.

Looks like it's a solution for 408.36(D) / 710.15(E):
(D) Back-Fed Devices. Plug-in-type overcurrent protection devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional fastener that requires other than a pull to release the device from the mounting means on the panel.

Last edited:
Just found out about breaker hold-down kits!
accessories-eaton_type_br_circuit_breaker_hold-down_screw_kit_for_enpower.png

As I understand it, they screw a back-fed breaker down to the backplane so you can't pull it out. $3 at Home Depot, $26 in the Enphase store not including shipping.
I hope I never have the opportunity to see, much less use one of those back-fed breakers. I can see myself ?

Back