diy solar

diy solar

Breaker tripping in main panel...

mtabor

Hi all, be gentle I am new. I am at the beginning stages of my install. Just for simplicity I wired the inverter AC out to a free breaker in my panel. (20a) But when i turn the breaker on it trips the main breaker. (its 3 phase, I just connected to the phase that`s the biggest consumer) It is about 15m (60ft) of 2.5mm3 (14G i think) Where can I start to look? They make it look so easy *just connect to a free breaker in your panel, or create a new branch and connect to that* haha

You're connecting the output of your inverter to the panel? Unless it is a grid dependent inverter (i.e. microinverter) that's a big no go.

spf5000es, growatt offgrid. i bought this for some battery backup later and no injection to grid. (but solar assit during the day) I know i have seen this connected to a house panel. I guess i just do not understand yet how it works.

Hi all, be gentle I am new. I am at the beginning stages of my install. Just for simplicity I wired the inverter AC out to a free breaker in my panel. (20a) But when i turn the breaker on it trips the main breaker. (its 3 phase, I just connected to the phase that`s the biggest consumer) It is about 15m (60ft) of 2.5mm3 (14G i think) Where can I start to look? They make it look so easy *just connect to a free breaker in your panel, or create a new branch and connect to that* haha
Are you trying to backfeed your panel?

You feed a sub panel (critical loads panel) with the growatt. Then the main panel feeds the growatt's AC/grid input side. You can't backfeed your main panel with the growatt like that. (Well, you "can" if you turn off your main breaker, but you can easily blow stuff up or hurt someone that way).

You feed a sub panel (critical loads panel) with the growatt. Then the main panel feeds the growatt's AC/grid input side. You can't backfeed your main panel with the growatt like that. (Well, you "can" if you turn off your main breaker, but you can easily blow stuff up or hurt someone that way).
I just assumed they all work the same way, oops. I was sure I have seen videos with people using this inverter, on grid the way I want to use it.

How would connecting to main panel blow stuff up? Wouldn’t the breaker prevent this sort of situation?

How would connecting to main panel blow stuff up? Wouldn’t the breaker prevent this sort of situation?

You'd hope, but people have blown out stuff by hooking it up wrong even though there were breakers. Breakers protect against overcurrent and shorts, but you don't have to exceed those ratings to damage equipment if it is hooked up improperly.

Nothing blew up. No fires, no sparks no drama. But think I finally got it. Like waking from a dream haha.

I need to, isolate the circuits desired from this phase. (isolate to sub panel) Connect inverter AC IN from this same phase. Connect AC OUT to isolated circuits sub panel. Balance for the phase should remain the same as before.

If the inverter can't power the loads (no sun, etc) it will get it from the grid and pass it to the loads.

Now I read (depends on the country) that 2.5mm2 wire will do 25amps. I ask because my wife is convinced to have this machine in our utility room. 15m or so distance to main panel. I think maybe an install close the main panel is better, with 6mm2 cabling.

Last edited:
Back