diy solar

diy solar

Brett V Growatt Build

Brett V

Mad Scientist
I'm installing a 6k Growatt, using 230 amp EVE cells. Last weekend I got all the AC wiring finished and this weekend started on the DC side. I wanted something compact and secure for the batteries, and found a metal toolbox on Amazon that fit the bill perfectly. It's tight and made for challenging build but I like how it's turning out. I lined the back of the box with adhesive backed neoprene to provide a little cushioning and insulation. The two ends have been fitted with a piece of a 1/2" thick plastic cutting board. This wasn't necessary but I had the material already and it served the purpose. The plywood bottom also was something I had laying around and turned out to be just the right size so I decided to put it in there.

Attachments

• battery box.jpg
    battery box.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The Overkill BMS is mounted to the left side of the box using some nylon standoffs I had, with two metal L brackets on the bottom. This area of the metal box is also lined with self adhesive neoprene. The shunt is mounted to plastic insulators I had in the junk bin using some terminals I had with two holes. It worked out very well.

Attachments

• shunt mounting.jpg
    shunt mounting.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I had originally planned to run the cables through grommets but had regular wire clamps and the hole punch I have was the right size. The cables (2 AWG) are only clamped barely snug and I'm not worried about crushing the rubber insulation. The plastic project box mounted to the top will house the battery display and one of the temperature sensors from the BMS.

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
There's a 300 amp class T fuse inside the box, about 8" away from where the positive battery post will be.

Attachments

• class t fuse.jpg
    class t fuse.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 5
I was reluctant to use a resettable breaker but I watched a video Will did and this is the one he used. MY OCD is not happy with having to mount it upside down but it's battery and load specific. I'll cope... ;)

Attachments

• growatt connected.jpg
    growatt connected.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 11
Back