diy solar

diy solar

Bricked U27-12XP

yellowdart

I have had a set of four U27-12XP that I have been using without issues for over two years. They are great batteries and have served me well. One of the four, though, seems to be in a weird bricked state. This particular battery was in the front of my RV in a battery box and I found it submerged (but not to the terminals) in water since I didn't realize that the box needed drainage holes drilled at the bottom of it. My bad. When I removed the battery, there was no light, no nothing, but 13 V across the terminals. I thought that was strange. So I removed it. Let it sit for a few weeks. Nothing changed. I let it sit for another few months as I wasn't using it at the time. Today, I checked the voltage across the terminals and it was down to 3 V. So I decided to see if I could charge it back up and weirdly enough, it just took a charge like it normally would. It took easily 60-70 Ah of charge over the better part of a day. I don't have a way of measuring the accumulated current or the energy, but my guess is that it was significant (20 Amps for four hours or maybe a little more), but not the total 138 Ah that it should take. There is still no light. I tried to connect through the Valence app and still nothing. Any thoughts on how one might wake this thing up or at least see if the BMS is still alive? Did the BMS basically get bricked with the contractors all in the closed state? Do I basically have cells connected with absolutely no control or protection?

My thought here, too. So this battery is not super useful to me. Does anyone want to take it for the cells? I am New Orleans: someone can come and get it or I might be willing to ship for the shipping cost. It would be a shame to throw away that much good Li given the current market conditions...

The side cover is not super water tight though there is a rubber gasket around it. Most likely the board got flooded. Maybe if you had dried it out immediately it might have still worked but I bet you the board is bad at this point. Don't charge it over 13.4 volts until you get that bored replaced.

Back