diy solar

diy solar

Brigs and Stratton is getting into lithium ion powered equipment .. cool B&S 1980 Hybrid car too.

I have EGO mowers (as well as a bunch of other EGO equipment) but couldn't pass up a deal on a Snapper lawn mower, powered by Briggs and Stratton batteries. Alas, this is all branding, as the mower is a twin of the Greenworks unit, as is the battery, with just a reworked slot on it's case to prevent compatibility between brands. That is the future in marketing.

In this too brief Video, Briggs shows you their battery manufacturing facility but they don't say where it is or if they ground up build their own lithium cells.

I have EGO mowers (as well as a bunch of other EGO equipment) but couldn't pass up a deal on a Snapper lawn mower, powered by Briggs and Stratton batteries. Alas, this is all branding, as the mower is a twin of the Greenworks unit, as is the battery, with just a reworked slot on it's case to prevent compatibility between brands. That is the future in marketing.
I never looked into EGO electric mowers, sharp looking units, I did chuckle a little when they bragged about new, longer lasting charge for their commercial mowers, (up to 60 minutes)!

I used these fuel injected beasts for a season, amazing power and they run all day at a dizzying speed and pace on a few gallons of liquid sunshine,(gasoline). I think they have horizontally opposed Kawasaki engines. Between the high revving engine and the three blades, they are very noisy I will say that!

Heh, I'd own one just to ride on, but before too long I'd design a way to strap a bunch of Valence Batts on it and add motors. I'm already musing about converting the existing Ryobi Lithium rider to Valence, unless I discover a disadvantage.

Heh, I'd own one just to ride on, but before too long I'd design a way to strap a bunch of Valence Batts on it and add motors. I'm already musing about converting the existing Ryobi Lithium rider to Valence, unless I discover a disadvantage.
Indeed, the power of electric motors is more remarkable than what is served up via the crankshaft of the internal combustion engine, not that I mean any disparagement of the technological achievement from the 1800's that powers the vast majority of today's automobiles and small engine requirements.

EGO's cutesy marketing tagline is 'Power Beyond Belief'...but I can testify that every single tool has surprised me with it's power, weight/balance, and overall performance (let alone reduced vibration/fumeless ,etc.), enough so that I can honestly see ICE tools being ecshewed for cell versions. I've no interest in an ICE yard machine anymore. Same could be said about cars, but it will be a while before I can afford the Rivian. ?

I have had an EGO mower for three years now, and it works fine for my small yard, but does not mulch leaves as well as my gas mowers. My EGO blowers and 16 inch chainsaw are great!

For sure! EGO and others are refining, EGO having just launched a dual-blade model (pricey) to address cut and mulch quality. I added the high-vac blade in place of standard, and it did help a bit, nothing Earth shattering. They seem to be waffling on the run-time versus performance compromise...I'd always prefer performance, alas mass adoption is their consideration, not mine. ?

For sure! EGO and others are refining, EGO having just launched a dual-blade model (pricey) to address cut and mulch quality. I added the high-vac blade in place of standard, and it did help a bit, nothing Earth shattering. They seem to be waffling on the run-time versus performance compromise...I'd always prefer performance, alas mass adoption is their consideration, not mine. ?
I have had the EGO 21" self-propelled mower for a couple years. Overall I am happy with it and glad I purchased it, but with that straight blade it does not lift the grass as it cuts so the cut is not as even as my old gas mower. (That is my *only* complaint about the mower. I love everything else about it, particularly the convienence and ease of use)

I see they now have the dual blade for sale as an option for older models. There is a blade set for bagging and a different blade set for mulching. I think I am going to try the mulching set.

I see they now have the dual blade for sale as an option for older models. There is a blade set for bagging and a different blade set for mulching. I think I am going to try the mulching set.

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up..definitely interested, even at less run time. My Snapper is a push mower, and despite that, I have preferred it to my EGO's (even self propelled) soley on cut eveness/quality. Like you, that is my only complaint with EGO mowers. I had seen a few reports on the EGO Community forum that folks were saying the Greenworks (and their ilk, like Snapper) have a better cut quality, and I didn't believe it until I had experienced it myself. Off to order the blades. Cheers!

Let us know how they work out. (I am waiting till my community is off lock-down so it may be a while before I order.)

Well phooey! The kit(s) will not fit our older mowers, specific fitment to the new 'Select Cut' mowers. Stay safe...we're shelter-in-place in Marin, but we can do yardwork, so far at least.

It's great to see more electric yard equipment being available. I have a gas mower but I do want to go electric eventually. My shed is solar so it only makes sense. No gas to worry about. I hope we start to see electric snowblowers too eventually. I bought a Ryobi 18v chainsaw last year, and it's great. No messing with fuel mixture, and it just goes. Uses same batteries as drills and other power tools. Does not run that long on the regular batteries but you can get the higher capacity ones.

How many hours can a modern battery powered push mower that generates the equivalent power and load of a 6 hp, self propelled, bagging mower go between full charges? Anyone?

I guess it depends on the size of said battery.

6 hp is about 4.5 kW so a 4.5 kWh battery can last 1 hour for example.

How many hours can a modern battery powered push mower that generates the equivalent power and load of a 6 hp, self propelled, bagging mower go between full charges? Anyone?

The Ego mower can take a 3 capacities of batteries they offer, and in my case the 2.5AH will last about 15-17 minutes, 5AH about 35-40 minutes, and the 7.5AH about an hour. The Snapper came with 2 5AH batteries, and I get about 40 minutes on each, and they take about 30-35 minutes to recharge, so theoretically you can keep mowing continuously thru swapping.

Back