diy solar

diy solar

Buck converter with high amperage?

If they're held at a constant voltage with negligible current flow, they're in storage.

Max of 12 amps. That isn't going to charge two Battleborn batteries very fast.
I know, im hoping to find a 20 amp one, but I figure 12amp might break it even, especially over night with little to no load.

I am making a custom case for the 16 cells that I bought, and am kind of interested in putting the converter INSIDE the case, with terminals on top, so I could have a multi-voltage battery. Kind of. I like the idea of less clutter.

I've been going back and forth with Brandon Newman from Battleborn over email, and first he recommended that the battleborn is a top balanced battery, so it needs to be charged to 14.4v to allow for that, and he recommended a regular buck converter or a simple 12v charger (while its rather inefficient, its simple).

I asked of keeping it at 14.4v would damage it long term due to it constantly being stored at 100%, also. If I could just set the variable DC converter to 14.4v and achieve the same thing?

He said you would not want to keep them at their top end charging voltage (14.4v) as it would increase their calendar aging, and when the battery is full, it will rest at 13.2v. Then he recommended setting the converter to 13.2v, and also have an MPPT to control bulk, absorption, and float.

I responded with giving him more info about it being in a trailer, and a 48v main battery for the inverter, 12v for staying the generator and the leveling system, etc. Then I asked if I was going to run an MPPT, is the converter even necessary? Or can I just hook up the 48v battery to the PV input, and the output to the 12v battery? Then I wouldn't need the converter at all.

This is his most recent response;
"
There is a lot of chatter about using the MPPT as a buck converter on the forums. The Victron professionals do not recommend this due to the potential for an MPPT to short circuit the input battery.

What do you think about using one or two of the Victron Orion 48/12 30 amp converters? This should be more than enough to sustain your low draw 12v loads, and the batteries would be able to provide surge power for the leveler and starting the generator.
https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...DC-DC-converters-isolated-100-250-400W-EN.pdf"

So I responded with saying the Orion looks like a nice unit, but essentially does the same thing as my original idea with the variable converter, as it is just a single stage charger, and will only output one voltage setting, putting me back to square one.

Basically, im looking into doing an MPPT instead. Maybe just a Victron 75/15 or 100/20 and hook up the 48v battery to the PV input. Any problems like this? Why would the MPPT decide to short circuit the 48v battery? Is there any way to prevent damage if it does?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Back