diy solar

diy solar

Budget battery opinions

Which lithium chemistry is this? If not LiFePO4, would be more of a fire hazard.
edit: OK, one image says LiFePO4
You'll still need BMS.

How much capacity do you need, and how many cycles over how many years?
Could be FLA or AGM would meet your needs and budget.
$320 is close to the price of a premium brand AGM 100 Ah 12V.

They are lifepo4 cells and I'm aware of the need for BMS. What I plan on doing is installing the renogy 400w premium starter kit on my 92 ford e-150 I intend on expanding capacity up to around 300ah but I also need to start smaller for now and still have the money for the rest of my build also I've spent the last 4 years living on the street and recently inherited the van from a friend passing away so I'll be living in the van for the foreseeable future as back on the street is my other option and we'll the van is better

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216-185354.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-185354.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3
It seems to me that anytime Renogy sells a "kit" you are better off shopping around and getting better components for the $

Instead of a DIY Lithium battery project, would this drop-in AGM battery for $330 meet your needs?

So long as you have a charging source sufficient to recharge it, and charger/load control to give it proper charge profile and prevent over discharge, it should be trouble-free.

Alternative for the budget minded, someone posted that once a battery is over 1 year old it can't be sold as new. So they can be had for cheap. Auto stores typically have batteries not very suitable for true cyclical use, but it was said batteries could be had this way for maybe $30 to $50. If you can find a local battery store that does sell true deep cycle batteries, explain your situation and what you're looking for, you might get a bargain.

I've bought a lot of used cells from Battery Hook Up. I have never been burned. Those packs are new cells. They have sold a ton of those cells in individual form. I have not heard anything negative about them

Instead of a DIY Lithium battery project, would this drop-in AGM battery for $330 meet your needs?

So long as you have a charging source sufficient to recharge it, and charger/load control to give it proper charge profile and prevent over discharge, it should be trouble-free.
I think for the money having lifepo4 would make for a better long term investment, also the AGM I can only use half the capacity right so it's really only 52ah of useable storage isn't it?

These are the best all around deals I've found and renogy I've at least heard of

Additional 250W panels $50 each.

Total $315 for a 1000W kit.

I think for the money having lifepo4 would make for a better long term investment, also the AGM I can only use half the capacity right so it's really only 52ah of useable storage isn't it?

Could be better investment, depending on how deep it is cycled and how often.
For OP's case, assume every night.
According to AGM manufacturer's manual,
350 cycle 100% DoD (1 year)
650 cycles 70% DoD (not quite 2 years)
1800 cycles 30% DoD (5 years)

30%, 30 Ah is 400 Wh, over a 12 hour night is 32W average, or there about, for 5 years lifespan.
Depends on what loads are planned.

LiFePO4, if everything goes as planned, could be 80% DoD for a decade of 80W average draw.
5x as much use for similar price.

I believe in KISS, so if AGM meets the need that is what I would suggest. Just kicks a can down the road for 5 years.

Additional 250W panels $50 each.

Total $315 for a 1000W kit.
Bummer. Looks like they only ship in the USA. Canadian here.

Yup-you won't get used US pricing anywhere here I know of. There are quite a few solar dealers that ship-where are you located what are you looking for?

Was looking at those they seem to be what everyone trying to jump on shipping is another $160 or so and still won't show up til like the end of April maybe I should just but the 280 ah eve cells and wait it out and get a cheap gel or AGM with low capacity in the mean time to keep the phone charged and the lights on

Was looking at those they seem to be what everyone trying to jump on shipping is another $160 or so and still won't show up til like the end of April maybe I should just but the 280 ah eve cells and wait it out and get a cheap gel or AGM with low capacity in the mean time to keep the phone charged and the lights on
All in, including shipping, the cells where $173 for me. But as Tom Petty said..... ♫ The waaaaaaaaaiting is the hardest part ♫

Try getting a shipping quote yourself.
I had a package picked up in Canada and delivered to me by CSA Transportation <customercare@csatransportation.com>
They had a terminal not far from me, so I picked up there to save on cost.
I was able to fill out the (US) import forms myself, provided by CSA. In my case it was product made in Canada, so exempt from duty.
The seller (on eBay) had CSA re-issue the quote to them and added shipping to my eBay invoice, so all one transaction.

I'd find someone in the states let you order to their place and then just ship the items to you in canada it would be a bit more for the 2nd shipment but can't be that much who knows if you can find someone local to the supplier maybe they would really be nice and pick up the order and just need to ship to you

I'd find someone in the states let you order to their place and then just ship the items to you in canada it would be a bit more for the 2nd shipment but can't be that much who knows if you can find someone local to the supplier maybe they would really be nice and pick up the order and just need to ship to you
Yeah, I'd have to research again. I think there are some transport depots that will even do this sort of thing. I recall looking into it once.

Back