diy solar

diy solar

Building 18650 Battery packs

Widdicombe

I've built a few 18650 12v 3p battery packs. Now I'm trying to build a bigger pack for camping with solar. My question is can I double the 3p using 6 rows instead of 3 if I just double the rows. See picture. I know the amp will double in each row but the voltage should stay at a nominal 12V.

Attachments

• 6 cell 18650.jpg
    6 cell 18650.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 14
If we are talking about a battery of 11.1 nominal volts I think you mean 3s, confirm?

Back to your question, you can wire multiple sets of 3s sets in parallel to increase the amp-hours. It all depends on how you connect your rows of 6. The pack you picture could be configured as 3s16p.

Back to your question, you can wire multiple sets of 3s sets in parallel to increase the amp-hours. It all depends on how you connect your rows of 6. The pack you picture could be configured as 3s16p.

I don't think I strayed from it. :|

Yes, I wanted to run a 3S system with more battery power. I usually just make the pack longer but want to put it in a pre made battery pack so just wanted it wider to fit better. So it sounds like I can double the cells like I pictured and run it still as a 3S. What's the easiest way to figure out the amps before I build? I test each battery and I'm building with cells running between 2200-2400 milliamps. Thanks all for the input.

cell milliamps hours * P = battery milliamp hours
battery milliamp hours * battery nominal voltage = battery watt hours

Back