diy solar

diy solar

Building a 10kw turbine?

tommydog

I live on 12 acres of land in a very windy place, where average wind speeds are almost 30mph. In light of this, I really feel I could exploit wind to power my home and was thinking of a 10kw or greater turbine. Any idea what the best way to go about this is? I see loads of DIY turbine options for small scale wind generation, utilizing treadmill motors, scooter motors, washing machine motors etc. But what about if I want to build a turbine 10kw or more? Are there any cheap motor options that I can re-purpose?

Needs to be about 16' diameter.

Wow, 30 MPH wind speed average! Very impressive. How are you determining that?

How many kWh's per day are you needing?

A 30 MPH average means you have many days where the wind is hitting 45 mph or higher for hours at a time. Ironically, that's bad place for a wind turbine. Every wind turbine ever made is designed by a building full of really smart people (not me) to engage its self protection system somewhere around 28 mph or lower which means it's shutting down to protect itself thus it's production could go to pretty much zero most of the time at your site.

Here's a great resource for home wind turbine builders. Not10kW but a very proven design so perhaps you could do more than one of them? http://scoraigwind.co.uk/

Good luck!

Back