diy solar

diy solar

Building a Portable Solar Unit- Need Critique on Drawing

RickP

Solar Power Padawan
I was strongly considering buying the PointZero Titan, with the largest system running about $8K. With the system not being available until August, at best, I decided I could build something where I knew what was actually "in the box" and with the same or better capabilities for the same money. Besides, I like learning and this is certainly providing an opportunity for that!

Like many, the videos done by @Will Prowse on YouTube have been an inspiration to me, and while I am not completely new to electricity, I am a solar newbie and don't mind asking for advice when I need it.

I did a rough circuit diagram with what I have, and wondered two things:

1. Am I missing some fuses or breakers that should be inline?
2. Any suggestions on wire sizing is certainly welcome. I have a tendency to do everything with the largest wire that will fit, but realize that probably isn't always necessary.

Feel free to make suggestions on anything you see. The parts on the diagram are locked in, but arrangement or minor changes can still be made. No cable/wire is in place. I do have the solar cables, and got some with 8 cable to minimize losses. Thank you in advance for any input you might share.

Rick

PS: I need to buy an assortment of copper lugs. Does anyone have a brand that they have had good luck using? I purchased the Temco crimper tool Will shows on his site, and have all the regular electrical pliers and crimpers already, so we are set all the way up to 4/0.

Attachments

• System Drawing V5 5-27-2020.pdf
    444 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I was strongly considering buying the PointZero Titan, with the largest system running about $8K. With the system not being available until August, at best, I decided I could build something where I knew what was actually "in the box" and with the same or better capabilities for the same money. Besides, I like learning and this is certainly providing an opportunity for that!

Like many, the videos done by @Will Prowse on YouTube have been an inspiration to me, and while I am not completely new to electricity, I am a solar newbie and don't mind asking for advice when I need it.

I did a rough circuit diagram with what I have, and wondered two things:

1. Am I missing some fuses or breakers that should be inline?
2. Any suggestions on wire sizing is certainly welcome. I have a tendency to do everything with the largest wire that will fit, but realize that probably isn't always necessary.

Feel free to make suggestions on anything you see. The parts on the diagram are locked in, but arrangement or minor changes can still be made. No cable/wire is in place. I do have the solar cables, and got some with 8 cable to minimize losses. Thank you in advance for any input you might share.

Rick

PS: I need to buy an assortment of copper lugs. Does anyone have a brand that they have had good luck using? I purchased the Temco crimper tool Will shows on his site, and have all the regular electrical pliers and crimpers already, so we are set all the way up to 4/0.
Burndy amd Magna. For battery connections id use magna amd for other electrical stuff on thhn or stranded building wire, machine tool wire, etc.

Back