diy solar

diy solar

Building a system for an off road rig

kchortu

I recent was gifted 3 36 v scooter batteries, they clearly have a proprietary BMS that needs to to communicate to another controller so I pulled one apart it has 40 18650 cells. I know the optimum configuration is 24v 7s. However I really don't have the room in top for a correct sized solar array... Nor the current budget to make something weird like a diy solar blanket. I also don't typically stay in one place very long so it would be optimum to charge while driving.So here are my question what should I do with my 120 18650 cells. I know it's more complicated than that.
Is there a way to charge a 1.2 kWh pack 7s17p from an alternator. Is there a DC to DC up convert charger.
If I have to go 12 v is 3s or 4s better I am not concerned about battery longevity as they are free cells, and if I have to replace them I would do it with LiFePo.
What would be the best chargers for DC to DC li-ion?
Any ideas I am missing?

Also I want to power a mini fridge, a CPAP, charging devices, and possibly an electric kettle (but I am ok letting that dream go)

Welcome to the forum.

Li-ion generally sucks for 12V, so I'd stick with 7S for 24V.

Victron has their Orion DC-DC chargers, and they have a 12/24 option with fully programmable charge voltages.

Welcome to the forum.

Li-ion generally sucks for 12V, so I'd stick with 7S for 24V.

Victron has their Orion DC-DC chargers, and they have a 12/24 option with fully programmable charge voltages.
Sweet, yeah that looks like what I need

Back