diy solar

diy solar

Building battery and power system for an RV

Immortal Lu

I'm building my first battery for a vintage camper, and it has specific power needs. I'm not yet ready to install solar charging, so I for now I will recharge with a generator or shore power and a standard lifepo4 charger.

Aside from the standard 12v DC lighting and fans, I'm going to power a 2000 watt inverter to run a refrigerator, bipap machine and o2 concentrator, about 400 watts for 8 hours. I don't like running a generator at night, so I am building a 280ah lifepo4 battery, and I just received the cells from China.

I am planning to use the overkill solar bms, as 120a seems appropriate for the loads and charging. I will be top balancing the cells, and I understand I can program the bms for low voltage disconnect as inverters seem to be non-adjustable for under voltage protection. I intend to build an inrush limiter to the inverter, so the bms will not be damaged when it repowers into the inverter.

Any feedback on my plans and build are welcome. I am not familiar with this hardware, so I may have misconceptions on how it works. My background is electrical power design, mostly dc/dc switching converters, so I am comfortable with the electrical aspects of the build.

I'm building my first battery for a vintage camper, and it has specific power needs. I'm not yet ready to install solar charging, so I for now I will recharge with a generator or shore power and a standard lifepo4 charger.

Aside from the standard 12v DC lighting and fans, I'm going to power a 2000 watt inverter to run a refrigerator, bipap machine and o2 concentrator, about 400 watts for 8 hours. I don't like running a generator at night, so I am building a 280ah lifepo4 battery, and I just received the cells from China.

I am planning to use the overkill solar bms, as 120a seems appropriate for the loads and charging. I will be top balancing the cells, and I understand I can program the bms for low voltage disconnect as inverters seem to be non-adjustable for under voltage protection. I intend to build an inrush limiter to the inverter, so the bms will not be damaged when it repowers into the inverter.

Any feedback on my plans and build are welcome. I am not familiar with this hardware, so I may have misconceptions on how it works. My background is electrical power design, mostly dc/dc switching converters, so I am comfortable with the electrical aspects of the build.

Since you will be charging with shore power and/or a generator you should consider and ul-458 listed inverter/charger with built in transfer switch.
https://www.samlexamerica.com/products/Category.aspx?cid=M11 is my goto recommend.

I considered one of those units, haven't decided yet. My ac system is currently divided in two with shore power powering my air conditioner and battery charger, and an inverter powering a second ac bus.

Back