diy solar

diy solar

Building fully autonomous PV system in France

astronom

Life DIYer
Hi all!

Here writing from Paris, I got sucked into first the DIY solar system trend and now the DIY battery community after starting watching Will's videos a bit more than a week ago. Very interested about the technicalities of all this and the potential it starts to show to tackle the global warming challenge we have. I'm an engineer by training, currently rather working on living systems (biology is very hard to engineer though ^^) but eager to also deal with more consistent and characterized systems, exactly like PV systems can be!

I will be building in the coming months a fully autonomous PV setup for my dad now living in an off-grid tiny house. With a budget of around 5k€, I intend to setup 2.4kWp of solar panels, and a self-made 48V LiFePO4 battery of 150Ah. All of this will be managed by the Victron EasySolar-II GX, latest all-in-one converter/charger device from Victron, which I already bought on sale. All the rest is still provisional although I will certainly soon buy the much debated 16 BLS 150Ah cells which seem to show very good price for value here from France (unfortunately I can't get the great used BYD deal many of you are buying in the US).

About the BMS, it should either be the TinyBMS, the Chargery BMS, or nothing at all and rather additional Victron devices like their BMV+thermal sensor and well balanced cells. Another challenge is that I will rarely be on-site, and that I would ideally want to monitor everything from the internet. Victron does that very well already for the system as a whole, but I don't know if it will be possible at the BMS level.

A big thanks to all of you already for what I have learned reading you, and of course to Will for his videos and setting up this great platform! I'm pretty sure all of this will have a very large impact not only in the solar DIY community but also indirectly on the society as a whole regarding how we manage our energy.

Hi all!

Here writing from Paris, I got sucked into first the DIY solar system trend and now the DIY battery community after starting watching Will's videos a bit more than a week ago. Very interested about the technicalities of all this and the potential it starts to show to tackle the global warming challenge we have. I'm an engineer by training, currently rather working on living systems (biology is very hard to engineer though ^^) but eager to also deal with more consistent and characterized systems, exactly like PV systems can be!

I will be building in the coming months a fully autonomous PV setup for my dad now living in an off-grid tiny house. With a budget of around 5k€, I intend to setup 2.4kWp of solar panels, and a self-made 48V LiFePO4 battery of 150Ah. All of this will be managed by the Victron EasySolar-II GX, latest all-in-one converter/charger device from Victron, which I already bought on sale. All the rest is still provisional although I will certainly soon buy the much debated 16 BLS 150Ah cells which seem to show very good price for value here from France (unfortunately I can't get the great used BYD deal many of you are buying in the US).

About the BMS, it should either be the TinyBMS, the Chargery BMS, or nothing at all and rather additional Victron devices like their BMV+thermal sensor and well balanced cells. Another challenge is that I will rarely be on-site, and that I would ideally want to monitor everything from the internet. Victron does that very well already for the system as a whole, but I don't know if it will be possible at the BMS level.

A big thanks to all of you already for what I have learned reading you, and of course to Will for his videos and setting up this great platform! I'm pretty sure all of this will have a very large impact not only in the solar DIY community but also indirectly on the society as a whole regarding how we manage our energy.

Hello,
I'm in San jose, Ca, just finised my 48v Off Grid system,
Here is my setup :
- 375w REC solar panel x 9 ( Total 3375 w )
- Midnite Classic 150 Charge controller
- Meritsun 48v/200AH Lifepo4 battery Powerwall ( Total 10Kwh )
- 48v/7000w/120v ac Reliable Inverter
It's been running very nice, power a whole home ( 1200 Sq ) all day and night
For the total price less than $9000 Usd, pretty good deal,

Back