diy solar

diy solar

Building system around Magnum 2812 Inverter/Charger - questions

Rob Cameron

CTC conversion
Hello everyone. New to the forum! I am working on building out my solar system for my Cargo Trailer Conversion. I am picking up the following from a friend as I believe it is a good basis of a system (not to mention getting for a good deal):
- Magnum MS2812 Inverter/Charger (almost new, just used a short time and flipped out for bigger system in friends RV)
- ME-RC50 Controller for the MS2812
- BMV-702 Victron Battery Monitor

ORDERED/HAVE:
I also just ordered my CATL LIPO cells (4x) to build my battery bank.
I already have a HP power supply that was converted to a 12/24V benchtop power supply if I need to use with system.

PLAN TO BUY:
I plan on buying the BougeRV/other 180W mono solar panels to use with this system.

USAGE:
  • I also have a 1800/2300 Watt generator that I will use to charge with and to run microwave, mini-split, etc with.
  • Inverter power - I believe I would be able to run mini-split, TV, computer charger, other 110VAC items for a while off my battery/system setup.
  • Battery 12V power will run lights, 12v water pump, fan, chargers, etc.

QUESTIONS:
(1) with this setup, is it okay to use the ME-RC50? I believe the ARC50, just has the FAV key and you can get to menu's faster??
(2) What BMS do you recommend to use?
(3) What Solar Charge Controller to you recommend?

I am a newbie so very open to hear thoughts/suggestions/answers to questions.
Thanks everyone!

2800W/12 = 233A

1) I don't know anything about that unit, but it just seems to be a remote control panel for the inverter, so I don't see why you couldn't use it.
2) DALY 300A
3) Depends on your panel wattage.

12V limits your peak charging, so you divide your panel wattage by 12. That's the # of amps the SCC must supply, e.g.,

1000W/12V = 83A, so a SCC capable of 80A or multiple SCC totaling 80A would suffice. Recommend MPPT.

Anything on Will's page meeting your current requirements should be fine:

You need remotes with the proper software updates to properly charge lithium batteries.
ME-RC v2.8 or higher
ME-ARC v4.0 or higher

The ME-RC should work for you, the ME-ARC gives you additional functions of using battery monitor kit, PT100 charge controller, and auto gen start all tied together on the Magnum Network. If you're not using those parts, the ME-RC should work fine

Back