diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

@12VoltInstalls shall i put you on the list? I mean I am sure you meant well and I am sure you trust I do as well.

@sunshine_eggo Can we also kiss and make up please? If you are at all interested please let me know ok?

I'd like you to be on the list. If you do so as well. The world is too messed up already so to linger on negative emotions is a bad idea.

Brothers and Sisters!!

Winding has begun!!

1 1mm wire of 1 phase wound.

View attachment 76146
I keep forgetting to ask @curiouscarbon What was the talk around your town again regarding this alternator?
:)
was a bit busy for a moment

in my town we sometimes refer to it as the inc®edibly b®utal wind turbine®

it will power the future of at least one awesome household!

this is how we understand things to be here

@stienman what about you? in or what? ;) only you though. There is no room for a squadron of children ;)

I'm interested in your work, progress, and results. I just don't have any additional answers to your questions or help to lend at this point.

Also, don't underestimate the power of a team of kids cycling to get additional video game time.

Also, don't underestimate the power of a team of kids cycling to get additional video game time.
Back to serious mode ;( Hooking up a console is a good aspect to consider. Now I do not have any ;( ;) and I will probably not buy one for my baby if/when she gets of that age in where they start nagging about it.

Let's take my main driver laptop for example. It's a Lenovo
!!start WARNING!!!
Even though IBM is handling customer care in my neck of the woods, one does not get any help from them after the 2 year warranty period has expired.
I had one IBM customer support dude on the phone saying he knows it's sad but what can we do?. We are bought..........
!!end WARNING!!!

1640183093593.png

The amount of electronics inside that thing must be more than one needs in a DIY scenario.
I mean in my domain it will be 50Hz 240V. THen there should be no need to include stuff that can deal with also being able to use this adapter in north America.

I realize now I am polluting my own thread, the one thing I warned others about not to do. Lets settle this here and now.

I will ask to move this last responses to somewhere more suitable in this forum, or maybe more efficient just repeat them somewhere else.

Back to serious mode ;( Hooking up a console is a good aspect to consider. Now I do not have any ;( ;) and I will probably not buy one for my baby if/when she gets of that age in where they start nagging about it.

Let's take my main driver laptop for example. It's a Lenovo
!!start WARNING!!!
Even though IBM is handling customer care in my neck of the woods, one does not get any help from them after the 2 year warranty period has expired.
I had one IBM customer support dude on the phone saying he knows it's sad but what can we do?. We are bought..........
!!end WARNING!!!

View attachment 76710

The amount of electronics inside that thing must be more than one needs in a DIY scenario.
I mean in my domain it will be 50Hz 240V. THen there should be no need to include stuff that can deal with also being able to use this adapter in north America.
Probably no more parts or complexity to achieve that. The complexity comes from it being engineered to be efficient and small A simple DIY power supply might consume 250+ watts, to output only 150W. It would work, but would be very large, get hot, and result in a higher power bill.

That principal *is* relevant to your project, as you are trying to build an alternator that works better than a professionally engineered one. Although you are willing to make it much larger, so that is a plus in your favor.

the reason I route the coil wire through what seems a weird path (couch arm rest and toy kitchen) is to make the wire less wrinkled. I am reusing the wire I used on the OSB coil disk earlier and it horrendously disfigured.

Anyway I abandoned winding coils on a disk. it's just too unwieldy and not something that can be done while sitting on a potty ;)
So in light of the holiday season I though to wind coils with my family near rather than hiding in the garage all the time.

Happy holidays to everyone

I suggest looking into a way to build a jig so the coil can mount to a drillpress, and wire unwinds from the wirespool sitting next to it.

I have now in mind an even better system to wind coils. just make a round shape object that has, in this case, 38cm of circumference. Aned then know where to tape them together.

Sure it will be sloppy as shite but come on gang this needs to be so easy that all of us can do it.

This one is impressive for what looks like homebrew.
Yes, it is.

Seems like it would work for a large RF toroid, not having much windings.

The toroid power transformers I've worked with have a fairly small opening left after all the windings.

I had imagined a machine with a shuttle passed through, flipped over, passed back. But this DIY winder simply has a narrow spool feeding the wire cleanly. Looks like the point of the toroid being wound is center of the ring carrying spool, so it is fed uniformly. That limits ring size relative to toroid size, and therefore spool size.

WOW! I've got an idea. That might lead either to no where or might just be an actually good idea.

Rather than spending time winding coils why not lets just use the spools them self?

1640448901661.png

It is easy enough to redesign the magnet placement to have one + on one side of the spool and one - on the opposite. I do think though that would mean getting stronger magnets as I believe that the once we are currently using do not have enough power to penetrate all the way down.

Back