diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

please allow me to apply the old boomerang concept in where I ask;
why not go Large(TM)

;)

but in answer to your question;
It is not only about the blades of the turbine. Also is is about the magnet and coi8l disks that need to be out of a single print (or cut out).

Believe you me I have tried several iteration on disks and when in parts then it's no good ;(

A small update again just to let you guys know I am still in this game.

1650195656418.png

As I have been slow in updates I thought it was time to unveil to the world the magnet arrangement.

It is the disk though that is no good. It consists of 8 parts and too flimsy.

Also Still have not found a way to resurrect the 3d printer. I fried my old board and got a new one in the meantime but I can't get the stepper motors to do anything at the moment.

Rest assured though. I will fix this problem and I will get this turbine to fruition.
I am not one to back out!!

hhaha please do not take the fact that the disk is now not 82cm but only +- 50 something cm in diameter as a sign of weakness.

I had a brainwave earlier and got my self a Tesla meter to confirm it was working or not.

So I managed to reduce the size down to around 50 cm diam rather than 80 while increasing on the magnetic flux.

a win win that should go down into internet fame if one would ever ask me ;)

the problem with an arrangement like this (repelling poles facing each other) is that you will have to fight to get the magnets to stay where you need them to be. They want to pop out (or become actual projectiles) at a moments notice.
Just trust me,
I have had many tries and this is not an arrangement for a causal hobbyist to try out.
This is only for determined builders.

lol. close but not. you'll need more than 2 words to describe this arrangement.

I warn you though. do not try this if you are not serious.

Certainly not go into this arrangement when believe that only 2 words are enough.

i just do not like it when people fly in and come and act all cool and all. where is your involvement in this thread?

if you have something good to say I welcome you. otherwise ... maybe do not join my threads

I used to be in love with France. ohh my the language is out of this world. it has everything magical about it.

I even was in love with one of their finest women in my childhood. The culture, the bread. It's all without a doubt very attractive.

It is those 2 words that makes me upset.

this is a friendly reminder that I also a human being with pride and feelings, shame and mistakes

Although I do not believe it is a hallback array, even if it is. please F off my thread if you are not willing to take it a bit more human ok.

Kindly point out the error in my thinking is of course much welcomed. but a blitzkrieg air raid with only 2 bombs is not welcome.

The amount of work that went into here is beyond real. if one does not want to be cool then F off please

Last edited:
nah, it's not even close to an hallbach array. why do people get to spam on the internet ?

this is a friendly reminder that I also a human being with pride and feelings, shame and mistakes

Although I do not believe it is a hallback array, even if it is. please F off my thread if you are not willing to take it a bit more human ok.

Kindly point out the error in my thinking is of course much welcomed. but a blitzkrieg air raid with only 2 bombs is not welcome.

The amount of work that went into here is beyond real. if one does not want to be cool then F off please

I am the one spamming? Seriously? You posted 7 messages and a DM to complain about me "spamming" by posting one message giving you a pointer to a useful solution for your project...

I don't know what's your current configuration since you didn't posted it. I was actually suggesting you look into hallback arrays if you didn't knew about them already as it's the most efficient way to increase magnetic flux relative to the cost and complexity.

But for some weird reason you're angry at me while I didn't do anything wrong; so I'll do as you said and not waste more of my time on your threads for now on. Have a nice day.

Wind doesn't scale to small turbines. You're dealing with two fundamental issues:

- The Betz Limit
- The Power in Wind equation

The Betz Limit is basically a theoretical number of the maximum efficiency you can possibly get. At most, only 59.3% of the kinetic wind energy can be used to spin the turbine and generate electricity. Remember this is a theoretical limit; in practice, you're going to be closer to 40%.

The Power in Wind equation is given as:

P = 1/2 x ρ x A x V³

Where:
P = power in Watts
ρ = air density (kg/m³, at about 1.2 at sea level)
A = Swept area of the blades (m²)
V = Velocity of the wind

So, no matter how good your turbine is, you will get in practice at most 40% of the wind energy converted to electricity. To capture the wind energy in the first place, you have two variables to increase (one in your control, the other not): swept area and wind velocity. The smaller you make the turbine, the faster you need to spin to make any meaningful energy. The only variable you control is the swept area, which means making the blades as big as possible. Also notice that the velocity is cubed in that equation, so you'll generate much, much less power at low wind speeds; don't assume this is linear or even exponential!

In other words, you're trying to improve something that doesn't really matter if you don't have access to the other variables, and even then, to get any meaningful energy out of it, you need to increase the size of the blades - even in areas with high winds all of the time, you'll just rip the thing apart at those velocities.
Found this out after about a year of doing what he is doing when I was younger.

I am the one spamming? Seriously? You posted 7 messages and a DM to complain about me "spamming" by posting one message giving you a pointer to a useful solution for your project...

I don't know what's your current configuration since you didn't posted it. I was actually suggesting you look into hallback arrays if you didn't knew about them already as it's the most efficient way to increase magnetic flux relative to the cost and complexity.

But for some weird reason you're angry at me while I didn't do anything wrong; so I'll do as you said and not waste more of my time on your threads for now on. Have a nice day.
Yes I was angy at you. But now after I have cooled off I took the time to read your follow ups.

Perhaps I am still in love with France ;).. damned do not tell my wife. she will ... me

So as a refresher for all.

the magnet dimensions are 60x10x5

The magnets them self are high powered N45 class. So yes these are NOT toys ;) not to mention they are also not free of charge ;(

Yes I did move the disk, knowing full well that the disk is flimsy and under tension, but I did so VERY carefully.

As an exercise to the reader. How many magnets do you see? ;) And now please realize they are all trying to repel each other.

The amount of force that is there is maybe dangerous and I have a small kid walking around (no, not from one of Frances finest women ;( ) so I (everyone that that goes and try this) should treat it with respect.
1650812491746.png
1650812512463.png
1650812526025.png

I never knew about Halbach until BiduleOhm posted.
That is a method to confine magnetic field to one side, where the coil of wire is supposed to be.
I proposed pole pieces to short out the air gap for similar purposes.

Because your design has rotating magnets in the middle and coils on both sides, I don't think Halbach benefits your design.
Instead, I think pole pieces through one coil and wrapping back through adjacent coil, to short out air gap on backside of coils, is what's needed.

If you think of a magnetic circuit as corollary to electric circuit, air has a lot of resistance, causes large drop in field strength across it. Metals and ferrites have low resistance. The more resistance in your magnetic circuit, the weaker the field at any point, including through the coil where you need it strong. Magnetic parts completing the circuit everywhere possible makes for a stronger field. Only air gap should be between moving magnets and stationary coils with pole pieces. As small a gap as possible, but large enough to prevent collision with your (flimsy) plastic rotor and magnet holder.

Another issue is eddy currents. Magnetic field in the permanent magnets is (mostly) stationary. As pole pieces pass by, field will move around a bit inside the magnets.
Magnetic field through pole pieces is alternating. That will induce current in coils as desired, if the circuit is completed. If the coils are shorted, maximum current will flow and all power will be dissipated in copper winding resistance.

If pole pieces are solid metal, with significant dimensions in X, Y, and Z, there will be a path current can flow and it will act just like a shorted conductor. I just conducted a related test using a toroid core I cut out of solid metal. Over half the power was dissipated in the core, under half in the primary winding fed 60 Hz AC.

To avoid eddy currents, need to prevent current from flowing in a loop in same plane as the coil (which of course is mounted in a plane such that magnetic circuit flows through center of coil.) Pole pieces made of sheet metal laminations (insulated from each other by shellac or similar) is one approach. Ferrite particles in dielectric binder is another. Laminations have to be oriented so the plane they form is orthogonal to plan formed by coil. Thickness of laminations still allows small loops of eddy current, but it is drastically reduced.

I think pole pieces can boost output of coil by an order of magnitude or more. It reduces magnetic path length from several cm to a couple mm (just the gaps.)

Back