diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

I do not mean to drag long forgotten topics out of mud. No! I do this because I am actually really interested to learn.
This video seems to conclude that my disk is not an Hallbach array
Or did I misinterpret?

Once again yes or no is is not meant as some kind of point I am trying to win or not. Just getting closer to the truth is all I care about and also having people behave.

Last edited:
by the way I have concluded that the original ender 3 stepper motors are... hmm how to word this politely. total pieces of utter crap ;)

So I am waiting for bigger ones to arrive along with a bigger badder board. I'll keep one updated

I do not mean to drag long forgotten topics out of mud. No! I do this because I am actually really interested to learn.
This video seems to conclude that my disk is not an Hallbach array
Or did I misinterpret?

Once again yes or no is is not meant as some kind of point I am trying to win or not. Just getting closer to the truth is all I care about and also having people behave.
It's ok if no ones knows for sure and also can't be bothered to investigate. I respect that.

So I will stick to my original gut feeling combined with what is said in that video.

My array is not hallbach

It's not large until proper protection includes steel toe boots. ;)

I look forward to seeing your printer!

But I meant maximizing the radius of any inside corners.

Composite 3D printed structure, alternating filaments?

So no centrifugal force to worry about. But higher magnetic forces needed, to deliver same power.
Ugg. You keep on having more hits than misses!!!. I just realized that filling the magnet disk with iron powder also makes the field strength stronger like an iron laminated core would do.
But then we are likely to run into the weight issue you mentioned. Or rather the centrifugal force issue.

I whish I had 10% of your knowledge about the subject matter. Then the world already would have had a working open source VAWT that kicks ass

first larger stepper has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!
But the Octopus board that has to go along with it That I wanted to use with it has been lost ;( the seller screwed up big time and also is not responding to my request for a correct tracking code.
Ahh the good old aliexpress. We can't live with them but can't live .. with women ;)

Last edited:
Challenge accepted ;)

But nah it will never become bigger than a build volume of 1200x1200x2300.
that is still huge yet I am not sure I will ever be wearing my work boots when operating it.
I just dodged a bullet. I was about to purchase a tronxy 600x600x600 3d printer as a stepping stone. So that I at least can print the disks I need and expand later to max size for the turbine blades.
My god that thing seems a load of crap based on what I can find in terms on reviews online. Also their own advertising on their own site is wayyyy misleading.It took me a while but I finally have gotten some chat channel worker of them (using their official website) to contradict themselfs.
One the one had they advertise everything is open source yet getting your hands on the firmware they used is not possible. Also the extrusions they use are custom made and not available for custimization so I'll be screwed if I try to expand that.

Be warned boys. take a big step around tronxy

I just realized that filling the magnet disk with iron powder also makes the field strength stronger like an iron laminated core would do.
But then we are likely to run into the weight issue you mentioned. Or rather the centrifugal force issue.

I don't think a core added to permanent magnets in the rotor makes field stronger. It will have field lines coming into faces of the magnets.
It is just the stationary coils which would benefit from cores to duct magnetic field from one face of a magnet in the rotor, through the coil, back through another coil, to face of another magnet in rotor.

I don't think a core added to permanent magnets in the rotor makes field stronger. It will have field lines coming into faces of the magnets.
It is just the stationary coils which would benefit from cores to duct magnetic field from one face of a magnet in the rotor, through the coil, back through another coil, to face of another magnet in rotor.
I recently decided not to get distracted again by people with their believes. I am on a roll ;)

But for you I will make an exception. It would be stupid not to hear you out.

What field test can I run that will demonstrate results from which you can draw conclusions out of. I have iron powder, A tesla meter, some cups to contain the powder in. And a magnet. More magnets if need be.

Mind you I already ran an experiment, admittedly possibly not the correct one, earlier and I was happy with what I saw
ugg, my earlier experiment was to demonstrate that indeed the coils would benefit, not the magnets.

The one I ripped apart (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...l-wind-turbine-an-in-depth-exploration.30146/) does have laminated steel sheets to hold the magnets

So I think a field test might still be in order.

Last edited:
The one I ripped apart (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...l-wind-turbine-an-in-depth-exploration.30146/) does have laminated steel sheets to hold the magnets

Because only once face of magnets on the rotor are adjacent to stator windings.
Other face is toward shaft, no coil there so laminations takes field from one magnet, routes it to the next.

(If rotor had been shaped like a brake drum, magnets could have been exposed on both OD and ID, with coils in both locations and no laminated cores needed in rotor.)

The laminations also provide a structurally sound holder for the magnets.

1652715425336.png

Other face is toward shaft, no coil there so laminations takes field from one magnet, routes it to the next.
YESSS. so that is exactly the way to waste perfect field lines.

OHH my generator is going to... wait for it...

KICK ASS (TM)

This is not to say that you have a mark here at all. This is perhaps only to confirm you got it by the right end.

I will run some test then though and perhaps go above and beyond what mankind knows by now.

I have taken a look at your coil field wiki suggestion.

I think I am already planning the same but am not sure. Please help me determine ok?

View attachment 92651
So what one sees here is 2 x 1/8th of the coil holder prints back to back.
Currently they are not yet printed using a ferromagnetic filament.
Also this demo is just to show you guys what direction I was planning and not the actual winding method I will use going forward. It's just a coil I had laying around.

So basically there is a single coil of a single phase with 100 winds of 0.4mm wire. Now please picture the whole disk filled with all 3 phases.
It will be jam packed with wires ;( ;)

I intend to engulf the whole disk with iron powder that is not electronically conductive to enhance magnetic flux.

I had planed to also fill the magnet disk with iron powder just before the top layer is printed. That will make for some awesome amount of flux enhancing if I have my theory correct.

Looking forward to suggestions or a good old pad on the back motivating me to go on ;)
Ok boys and girls.

I have an important decision to make regarding coil winding.

Should I stay 3 phase and end up with a heat sink like above? I mean only one half that is as I have already determined the field strength is not strong enough to penetrate deep enough even if I put powder underneath.

Or should I go single phase?
It will shorten the war by 5 years and save millions of lives as it will allow me to have a wider coil that is flatter, it will allow for the heat sink to have fatter and fewer fins that will result in more ferromagnetic material to help enhance the magnetic field.

Most importantly I will then only have to make a single transformer rather than 3. Because I could rectify first but I really do not know how to transform VDC yet. I would like to minimize the amount of electronics I need.

Or should I have a good old smack on the head and stay the 3 phase course?

It's not large until proper protection includes steel toe boots. ;)

I look forward to seeing your printer!
Have no fear please my dear brother.
But I have chosen pragmatism above idealism as a first stepping stone. I thought it better to through in some money for a (mostly) pre assembled kit and get things on a roll again rather than to spend ages of time getting my giant printer to print while that is in fact a side project. Not our MAIN goal!!!

Please see a store bought 350x350 printer in the making.
1653846214798.png

the first this I will do with it is finally get into shape by printing variations of a generator in a single print that can fit into my crosstrainer.
1653846313861.png
Now this will get me some hard data and let's not forget a hard body as well all in pursuit of science ;)

If I can make 2x3m wind turbine blades with this printer then I am not sure it is smart to plow through going larger.

I might end up being a little weird though and doing it anyway. I mean what can go wrong? ;)

Have no fear please my dear brother.
But I have chosen pragmatism above idealism as a first stepping stone. I thought it better to through in some money for a (mostly) pre assembled kit and get things on a roll again rather than to spend ages of time getting my giant printer to print while that is in fact a side project. Not our MAIN goal!!!

Please see a store bought 350x350 printer in the making.
View attachment 96290

the first this I will do with it is finally get into shape by printing variations of a generator in a single print that can fit into my crosstrainer.
View attachment 96291
Now this will get me some hard data and let's not forget a hard body as well all in pursuit of science ;)

If I can make 2x3m wind turbine blades with this printer then I am not sure it is smart to plow through going larger.

I might end up being a little weird though and doing it anyway. I mean what can go wrong? ;)

Is that a houseboat, or just a big water canal next to your house?

(Cool projects in the name of science BTW)

Back