diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

even more sweet is the 4m/s avg wind speed seems very pessimistic.
Based on
View attachment 73841
it looks like most of the year it is above 11m/s (40km/s) so I am going to use that as an optimistic value knowing full well that going the optimistic route leads to disappointments but I need something to keep the motivation high.

0,5×6×1,23×11×11×11 = +- 4911W * .4 betz = +- 1964W * 24 * 365 = +- 17209 KWh per year.

Now does not this make one's heart beat rise?

What altitude?

How about tidal energy? Flows twice a day, and much smaller turbine needed.

So the wind data is for "sea level" and not some higher altitude? I've never seen wind data like that.
I'll admit that I am way out of my league here. I am scanning sites and not really knowing what I am looking at. I have warned my self though that optimism will lead to disappointments. But like I said. I need to keep the spirit alive

I'll admit that I am way out of my league here. I am scanning sites and not really knowing what I am looking at. I have warned my self though that optimism will lead to disappointments. But like I said. I need to keep the spirit alive

Most wind data I have seen is for 10, 30 or 90m above ground. What you will get at lower levels is always lower.

Get yourself a weather station and start collecting your own data.

How about tidal energy? Flows twice a day, and much smaller turbine needed.
The dike around my area is an internal one and as such not protecting us from the sea. My land is next to water though (some of it part of my land) but I have never seen any tidal influences. Sure there are but just so tiny one does not notice.

-5m referring to sea level in the Netherlands
But the air density will be greater than 1.23 at that altitude ;) maybe 1.23000000000000000000001 ;)

So the wind data is for "sea level" and not some higher altitude? I've never seen wind data like that.
I think It;s time for a realism check up. I just went up to my bedroom balcony and took out the anemometer as now we have quite some wind as we speak.

To my horror only to find 7.5 m/s max while there was a gust of wind.

Now to not destroy my soul just yet I do have many more meters to go higher. Lets assume then that that will make a world of difference

But the air density will be greater than 1.23 at that altitude ;) maybe 1.23000000000000000000001 ;)

I think It;s time for a realism check up. I just went up to my bedroom balcony and took out the anemometer as now we have quite some wind as we speak.

To my horror only to find 7.5 m/s max while there was a gust of wind.

Now to not destroy my soul just yet I do have many more meters to go higher. Lets assume then that that will make a world of difference

Data are better than assumptions.

Data are better than assumptions.
agreed.
But for people like me wanting to tinker then tinkering is half the fun of getting good results ;) Yeah yeah I realize I am playing fast and loose with my definitions regarding disappointment and what not. But let me rephrase then in saying optimism can lead to disappointment in power generation results yet great joy in the knowledge learned while tinkering.

There is wind speed, and then there is turbulence.
Near ground, even if you measure sufficient speed, turbulence will kill the lift of an airfoil and therefore turbine performance.
Tests on many small wind turbines showed they significantly underproduced what was calculated, even with simultaneous measurement of wind speed.
An anemometer is a drag device, unaffected by turbulence.
A wind generator built similarly (split halves from 50 gallon drums) would produce without reduction due to turbulence. But its maximum output is much less than a turbine with airfoils not exposed to turbulence.

Height is where its at.
I don't know the appropriate way to measure turbulence. But a tiny airfoil-type wind turbine together with the anemometer might do it.

I've got half a mind getting a hybrid 3d printer/cnc mill The only issue is that the open source ones are tiny and I am still waiting for a response on my question if it is feasible to up the scale.

THe branded closed source route I do not dare to go as I am of age and well experienced to the corners one can run into going that route

3d printing/CNC milling as a service?
Perhaps with a CAD file sent to a vendor in China, you can get prototypes cheap.
Works for PCB, probably other things.

Shipping might be the killer for big stuff. You've seen how molded chairs and the like are designed to stack compactly.

3d printing/CNC milling as a service?
Perhaps with a CAD file sent to a vendor in China, you can get prototypes cheap.
Works for PCB, probably other things.

Shipping might be the killer for big stuff. You've seen how molded chairs and the like are designed to stack compactly.
Nah, My idea is to have an optimized airfoil cnc milled out of some kind of rubber. In that way it is easy to keep experimenting with straight or helix. It will take some welding skills on my part but one is never to old to learn

Back