diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

I'll be honest now. I feel like am creating a logbook more than anything,

Sure many of us are pitching in with each their own expertise and that is exactly how it's meant.

But is one really interested to know where this all leads? in other words shall I only come with questions or is one interested in the journey as well?
I guess if I stop rambling about this topic then the 'prestige' element will start to dissapear and I fear I might then allow for all kinds of excuses to 'postpone' working on the project. And one thing I have learned in life is that most temporary things turn out to become permanent ;(

So I am just going to keep on rambling here as I really think the world will be better with turbines. I for one am not giving up on them yet!.

Build your turbine !
And build your alternator !

Then test each to measure its characteristics.
Then its just a case of joining the two up with a suitable drive ratio so both are completely happy together.

Anyhow, you gradually add more weight and load to the turbine, it keeps slowing down, but the torque keeps increasing.
The measured power keeps increasing too, up to some point.
Beyond that, if you overload the turbine, the reduction in speed becomes greater than the measured increase in torque, and measured power falls.

There will be a definite peak in power at some particular rpm for any given wind speed.
If you design your alternator windings and alternator drive ratio around that, you cannot go too far wrong.

Which is what MPPT does for PV panels.

Given an alternator coupled to a wind turbine, instead of mechanical pony brake you apply electrical load. That could be a battery tester, like carbon pile. This one says 12V 100A, 10 seconds. Other models could dispose of more heat. Transformer could raise/lower voltage first.

Or a switching power supply, a buck converter, with duty ratio driven by test equipment and swept (to vary voltage conversion and load.)

Or a row of heating elements or light bulbs, with toggle switches. (KISS)

Start, though, with wind speed, swept area, and whatever published curves/equations for theoretical max power. Also, max force. That way you can plan for required power conversion and tower strength.

Email updates are queued, and occur periodically depending on the forum settings - for instance daily for many forums.

If someone posts, it adds the thread to the email queue. If you post before the queue is sent, then it removes the thread from the queue.

You post frequently, so you won't receive a notification unless someone posts and you don't post for a day or so after their post.
that might explain a lot yes. thanks for sharing your insights on this

WOW!!! I just ran an experiment with a iron powder filled disk at 60 RPM.

209 millivolts as apposed to 177 without iron powder.\

Sure still not as good as traditional at 235 mv but given all the benefits of repelling I am going repelling.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! vindication at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1657821755339.png

now of course all data is heavily biased and not at all scientific. SO take all with a huge grain of salt.

But I am going the repelling route.

DD for the win aii!

obsolete message. I think that whenever someone reaches the level of being able to construct magnet disks then it is also possible for them to determine if traditional is better for their scenario or not.

For mine it is repelling.

Last edited:
But what could it be? is it biased measurement taking only? or perhaps ambient heat? or maybe the same single 9 winds coil was somehow changed? the distance between test coil and magnets could also have become less as by now some material is worn off due to friction?

Like I said it's not at all scientifically taken all this data but I it's all I got and need some way of steering me into a direction I can work with..

should it be gold then let it be known that it will be open source. no company can every claim any of it. let the world enjoy. (if of course it does hold any merit)

That iron powder sounds like a pretty effective abrasive.
It might work for a while, but I doubt if it will improve your windings or bearings over time.
If it ever gets even slightly wet, it will probably quickly turn into a very solid lump of brown rust.

That iron powder sounds like a pretty effective abrasive.
It might work for a while, but I doubt if it will improve your windings or bearings over time.
If it ever gets even slightly wet, it will probably quickly turn into a very solid lump of brown rust.
Don't worry about atmospheric influences. the disk is meant to be fully cast in resin after prototyping

ok, it's official now. 242 mv at 60 rpm using an iron powder filled disk.

Where should I publish my findings for a scientific peer review before I start calling all the news agencies?
this is the correct type of frustration I am feeling now. I am literally buzzing. my butt cheeks are trembling. where do I go with these findings?

hahahah one could suggest fieldlines.com yes?

If my projects, intentions and the way I operate would not have lead to a ban then sure. But now it's their loss as they\ll probably not see where this leads.

I am really serious guys. where do I go from here? where do I lay down my findings for a peer to review it scientifically?

I kind of suspecting that my data is not well enough taken yet. There are all kinds of variables at play here that will never survive scientific scrutiny.

Well seriously, you got a modest percentage higher open circuit voltage with iron powder vs. no core.
Try pulling current, find maximum power point, compare performance that way.

But how does it compare to laminated core? That seems to be standard for motors, generators, transformers operating at low frequency.

I think powdered cores are more popular in the hundreds of kHz and MHz range, where circulating current would form loops too small for sheet metal laminations to prevent.

Hmm, "iron powder filled disk"
I was looking back to see where this core material was used. Just between magnets of rotor? If anything, I'd think magnetic material there could short out part of the field you're trying to get into the coil, not enhance it. I'd think diamagnetic material would be more useful.

laminated core between magnets would probably make it worse. I think I usually see aluminum used there. The laminated core or powder I would put through the coils.

Try drawing a schematic of the magnetic circuit, magnet through air gap, through center of coil, back to opposite side of same magnet (which may pass through adjacent magnet.) Include any available paths through adjacent magnet that may enhance or cancel field being driven into coil.

Assign "resistance" to each component, based on relative permeability of each element, cross-section area, length. Determine "resistance" of total path, also consider where field could spill out of sides of coil through copper & air because path through center of coil isn't far lower "resistance."

I think path through air dominates, reduces field strength in center of coil, and what you do around the magnets has relatively little effect. I think replacing the air with other material could increase field strength and power transfer by a factor of several hundred.

I'd think magnetic material there could short out part of the field you're trying to get into the coil, not enhance it. I'd think diamagnetic material would be more useful.
That was my reaction to this as well.
But not exactly sure what you are actually doing there, so did not comment.

The magnetic field needs to cut the windings at right angles, not be given an easier path to bypass the windings altogether.
Filling in the air gap around the windings with iron (powder) will hugely increase the magnetic field strength by eliminating the air gap in the magnetic path, but it will also destroy the windings ability to work as its supposed to work.

Put it this way. A lot of very smart people have been messing with motors and generators for at least a couple of hundred years. They are pretty well understood, and its highly unlikely you have discovered anything really new. More likely your iron powder has changed things somehow and your measurement method may not be telling you the whole story.

Filling in the air gap around the windings with iron (powder) will hugely increase the magnetic field strength by eliminating the air gap in the magnetic path, but it will also destroy the windings ability to work as its supposed to work.

All the way around the windings, yes, would short out field.
But through the windings, would channel the field where it is desired and couple more effectively.

In the following picture of a radial configuration, gap between pole pieces so core forms a horseshoe, not a complete circle, is what's needed. (OP's configuration is axial, so a 90 degree rotation of coil orientation vs. this picture.)

1657981927068.png

Back