diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

There are more clues to the success of this mission here:
I am not sure about your intend. can you please elaborate?

If this is a hollywood film chances are it ends well yes? is that what you meant?

In any case, better to be more specific. This is rather cryptic and not helpful as such.

But anyway I am rather uncertain about how I should respond at the moment.

I'll restate once again to everyone. well intended constructive criticism is always welcome, needed even. Even if the wording is a little harsh.

just let not forget we do not like blitzkriegs here

Last edited:
Just a little light-hearted movie line response. Carry on. Now that I'm on the thread, I will be following your progress. VAWTs are notorious underperformers compared to their horizontal counterparts. Laminar flow and air distribution seem to be the main culprits. But perhaps you've dealt with this in the previous pages.
If this is redundant, disregard:

yes redundant indeed. I have even tried to contact rossie way back based on that video. But as one might have guessed she did not feel our work here is important enough to reply. Or maybe she never got the email. spam filters are nasty these days.

Also one does not need to insert weird messages into threads in order to be able to follow them. So I kindly ask again. What was your intend?

yes redundant indeed. I have even tried to contact rossie way back based on that video. But as one might have guessed she did not feel our work here is important enough to reply. Or maybe she never got the email. spam filters are nasty these days.

Also one does not need to insert weird messages into threads in order to be able to follow them. So I kindly ask again. What was your intend?
Levity. I expect the poster was repurposing a line from the Movie "Jaws" (probably lost to you) for comedic impact. I suppose it may be seen as a "weird" reply for some. Are you easily offended?

*) especially since I realized the magnets will be equally attracted by coils under load from both sides. Essentially resulting in 0 bending on the disk.

Until someone shoots a hole in this reasoning I am going to focus again on getting a good solid magnet disk. We need some numbers by now ;) Blow up some car lights even with this alternator.

If it does have attraction, mid-point is an astable equilibrium.
Repulsive, it should be stable.

Now I'm confused which direction with magnet passing coil of wire. It must be dragging wire after it, at least once beyond the wire?

Permanent magnets, we know how those would behave.

Finally found some time to make a schematic drawing of one of the stators a.k.a. coil disk.

View attachment 110888
the dark red slab at the bottom is a 10mm high disk of iron powder to attract the magnetic field to pass through the coils (that are not shown yet)
the pinkish/purplish fans on top of that are coil separators printed using iron powder filled filament

View attachment 110890

here we can see the 3 phases of coils.

Regarding coging. if it was a electro motor it would be a huge problem as there are as many coils per phase as there are poles.

However, this is a generator and the wind charge controller does not put a load on the coils before the voltage has reached 48 volts and the controller will short the coils if the voltage becomes greater than 56 volts.

Should I worry about coging and if so can anyone suggest a way on how to reduce that?

Also please keep in mind that there will be 2 coil disks. 1 on each side of the magnet disk.
Now I'm confused which direction with magnet passing coil of wire. It must be dragging wire after it, at least once beyond the wire?
I am guessing (a slightly educated guess that is) that a coil under load and a PM (permanent magnet) passing past it (as in a PM alternator while in operation) will experience an attractive force coercing them towards the PMs.
This of course has a similar effect on the PMs them selfs.

For an outdated representation of having 2 stators (coil disks), one on each side of the rotor (PM disk) please see my avatar image.

Are you easily offended?
There is no easy answer.
I have experienced that I can take ridicule quite ok. For example if someone was to shoot holes in my Daniels Disk and point out the physics blunders made there. In such a scenario I would feel shame of course but all for the greater good. I don't mind sticking my neck out and face some backlash.

Personal attacks I have not experienced yet online so I am not certain how thick my skin would be in such a scenario.

I guess it all boils down to the wording and the intend.

One big factor here on this forum (or any other fora where one is not a moderator) is that I can't, like in real life, just turn my back and walk away.
No, we have to stay vigilante as to not allow trolls/shills to pollute the hard work that is being done here.

So if your intend was well meant then by all means join the gang, I hope you have some insights to help us out and if not that's perfectly great as well. Please enjoy this oddesy in that case.

@HighDesertOffgrid
still love you. don't be shy.

I have got some exciting update

1664384846418.png

this is what we call a magnet disk holder.
It should not really matter what material the damned thing is printed with as chances are the heat build up wont be that great (@Hedges suggested as such, granted this was while very few context was available) around this aspect of the alternator.

But then again pay close attention to the holes that are angled at 45 degrees from the plane.

you might wonder "but why my most dearest brand of newbs"

Well, so we can have m4 threads fortify the whole damned thing.

It's taking ages with trail and error to get prints to come out how they need to be. But fear not. Trail and error is what I excel at.

@justgary , @curiouscarbon I am now finetuning the first layer with a Z yes a ZET, not a ZEE hahahha) axix offset within Cura. not ideal but it does seem to work until now.

Here is another question for one?

How many watts does a 12v carlight need to blow up? Yes, you've guessed it. that is what we are gonna do!!!

@HighDesertOffgrid
I'm still watching. I have to be honest, after our initial conversation, I did try to read the entirety of this thread, but gave up around page 25. So, I'm not sure of your progress and have little to offer.
This guy seems to have success building wind generators from scratch. Perhaps you can glean something from his content.https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesBiggar/videos

Nothing technical to add, just a bit of psychology. The vast majority of people here are technical types and as such we all have social "issues" in dealing with other people. (I don't know any competent engineers I wouldn't put on the autism spectrum, myself included.). Add on to that that for a good chunk of people on here English isn't their first language. So there's going to be misunderstandings.

I think you're doing a good job, both in dealing with some of the comments and what you're attempting. Carry on!!!

@HighDesertOffgrid

I have got some exciting update

View attachment 113940

this is what we call a magnet disk holder.
It should not really matter what material the damned thing is printed with as chances are the heat build up wont be that great (@Hedges suggested as such, granted this was while very few context was available) around this aspect of the alternator.

But then again pay close attention to the holes that are angled at 45 degrees from the plane.

you might wonder "but why my most dearest brand of newbs"

Well, so we can have m4 threads fortify the whole damned thing.

It's taking ages with trail and error to get prints to come out how they need to be. But fear not. Trail and error is what I excel at.

@justgary , @curiouscarbon I am now finetuning the first layer with a Z yes a ZET, not a ZEE hahahha) axix offset within Cura. not ideal but it does seem to work until now.

Here is another question for one?

How many watts does a 12v carlight need to blow up? Yes, you've guessed it. that is what we are gonna do!!!
@justgary the arcs at the corners is to reduce warping. thus far it seems to help indeed.

Also I have once again went into my pockets and ordered one of those PEI plates for this printer. It's not cheap but hopefully it will help reduce warping and the fights I have getting prints of this stock glass build plate

I'm still watching ?

the most recent design with m4 anchor holes looks nice. good job wrestling with the 3d printer details!

@justgary the arcs at the corners is to reduce warping. thus far it seems to help indeed.

Also I have once again went into my pockets and ordered one of those PEI plates for this printer. It's not cheap but hopefully it will help reduce warping and the fights I have getting prints of this stock glass build plate
I know what you mean. I recently finished printing nine cover plates for my batteries. Each one is fairly large and has a lot of contact with the PEI build plate. I ruined the first one trying to remove it (even after putting it in the freezer). I then adjusted the Z (zee, not zet or zed!) height to get it sticking yet easy enough to remove. Each one took about 16 hours to print.

PXL_20220922_034025528.png

@Hedges I might have found a reason not to make the coil separators from iron filled filament.
My reasoning is that the magnetic flux needs to pass through the coils and having iron filled filament will attract the magnetic field between the coils rather than through them.
This is of course highly speculative and no research has been done to demonstrate this anti feature. But I will stick to my gut felling for the time being and just make a 10mm high slab filled with iron powder below/above the coils. (not shown on the picture below.
1664530539776.png

In case one was wondering why I have moved to traditional again rather than repelling. well I earlier showed that the repelling iron filled disk self destructed. So In a few ways I am happy no one took me up on my offer to send those disks around the globe for peer review.

I, for the time being, think that if size is not a constraint then traditional should be good enough if we can deal with the stability issues.

If it does have attraction, mid-point is an astable equilibrium.
Repulsive, it should be stable.

Permanent magnets, we know how those would behave.
ok brother, only now I saw you need more details in order to be able to add anything useful.

Please ask me what aspect needs more details and I am more than happy to go micrometer detailed if you need it to be.

Reducing the vertical distance from the carriage to the cutter would help a lot. Even shortening the cutting tool would help. More distance is more lever arm for the force to try to rotate the assembly. Reducing cutting speed is your only other choice so the cutter has less force on it.
hahahha
so I will need a dremel cutting disk to cut down a dremel routing tool.

does one see the circular nature here?

never fear though. this was just meant as comic relieve. of course I have got more than enough cutters to get things done.

Back