diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

@Warpspeed I respect that you are mostly offline in this thread. And that then when you do show up you are brilliant. However, I'd like to know if you are interest to see how much power can be extracted from a MILL?

on a gernral note. I just noted today that my blades should be balacned.

they never where

it feels like I am on my own on parts like this..
then one would argue there is fieldlines.

do not get me started about that plese. I mean I am happy I am still there But it feels like I aI have to be another me just to get help.
Or more importantly be able to help.

I am still here gang. I am now printing arm supports as I type.

I had another break down of the turbine as the weak spots, most of them I already know of, break down.

I have chosen not to over engineer the prototype but instead rush into getting something spinning in our usual wind conditions and get some empirical data.

What ever I said before about wind speed. strike that. that came from a man without a head.

More realistically we are looking at 3 m/s (on the test location on the lawn) when it is windy.
fear not though. Things can get brutal around here. 6.4 m/s or above can be easily gotten here when things get gnarly.

But anyway 54 watts, as gotten using the calculator everyone should know by now, hopefully is able to trickle charge a battery array.

But yes, I did have a low point in my motivation. It got revived again by god knows what.

I am just not sure I am willing to first test lenz;s law before I just build the sickest ® alternator ever.

I mean I have got some basic understanding by now to be able to confidently state that I can build an alternator that generates any voltage at any rpm.

But it might be the dunning kruger effect at play here. In where the less you know the more you think you know.

Hey Brothers and Sisters!!

Did I tell you already I love you?

Hold on to your buttocks because sooner or later things are going to get off the chart.

It might even mean that the US political system gets to settle down after a long run of turmoil.

hahah I which for it to be true but no. I am just grandstanding.

Let's see how far I do get yes?

so I just used one of mu credits on my secret line to Joe. The big boss. I asked him.

Hey Joe.. What about my Turbine?

He said, Ok son, I'll get NASA to cover you.

But then I thought maybe to also get a second opinion.
So I used my special dark ops phone line to call Donald.

I said: Yo dude aii?.
He said; Aii speak no more. I'll arrange it.

I really hope that my humor does not hurt anyone.

It;s meant as a joke and no matter our believes we should be able to just laugh. Or ignore it.

Never go into a fight because of me having a short lines with Donald and Joe

on a gernral note. I just noted today that my blades should be balacned.

they never where

it feels like I am on my own on parts like this..
then one would argue there is fieldlines.

do not get me started about that plese. I mean I am happy I am still there But it feels like I aI have to be another me just to get help.
Or more importantly be able to help.
yeah so I am now working on top arm supports.

The thing is is that I had to change the column arm connector structure. It has gotten more wobble than the previous version.

That means that the blades will "fall over" as they are not balanced.

I am going to try to use both of the options available (that I know of) here to combat this issue.

Even though now the blades are balanced to a lesser degree, I will also;
* ) weld the arms to the column connector to remove any play/wobble they have now.
*) make use of an diagonal top arm support using those aluminium tubes I still have laying around.
The latter will make it so that the blades are being hung from the top and then gravity is our friend rather than our enemy as was before.

Some wind turbines use gearing or belts to increase alternator RPM, but that is more drag and more things to fail.
Yes brother. That is why I have been reluctant to go the gear route. Still believeing I can build an alternator that produces a target voltage at a target RPM.

But as @Warpspeed and also on fieldlines are telling me. Perhaps consider to do go for this gear thing. I really would not like it but maybe it will be needed.

But fear not dear gang. I am not giving up yet. Gears were originally invented by smart people to solve complex problems. Back in the day I remember being invited by Archimedes to attend diner at his cottage.

I asked him: Yo Arhci, why this gear thing?
He replied: Well my dear simpleton. Because it makes things spin better ;)
I said: Nah Archi, you are being lazy here.
He replied not with words. Only this stark look as if he had invited a moron to his dining table. Which in many ways he was correct about as I still am one.

Last edited:
hahah this is how much of a moron I really am. Gears were not invented by Archi. But by greeks of Alexandia it seems ;)

Well it does not make the story I presented any less entertaining though!!

What ever I said before about wind speed. strike that. that came from a man without a head.
I am getting really nervous gang :( The past couple of days it has been really really cold, like -5C at night around my area. While the wind was doing 0.0m/s most of the times.

This is bad news.

Now at the time of writing the wind is 1.7m/s. That has about 10 watts, for my 5.2m diam 2.44m height turbine, after losses according to

Never fear though. I am plowing through even though fusion power is yet again 2 decades away.

But first we are escaping this cold for a while though heading towards the equator so I'll keep one updated once I am back.

Ok gang,

Back to square one.

While still on holiday I found the midnite classic 250 mppt charge controller.

In a nutshell this would mean I can charge a 12vdc to 72vdc battery array (in my case 48vdc) with an input of 48+30%vdc to 250vdc.

So no need to precisely match the generator to the battery array.

If only midnite products are reliable and spare components are sourceable until forever. Otherwise we'll need an open source mppr charger.

Anone any thoughts on this?

wow, -45C in the US and Canada. That puts my complaining about -5C a bit in perspective.
What to say other than I wish anybody in there all the strength
We got to about -8C here in northwest Florida this morning, and it will probably be colder for the next day or so. Brrrrrrr. My citrus trees are not happy.

While still on holiday I found the midnite classic 250 mppt charge controller.

In a nutshell this would mean I can charge a 12vdc to 72vdc battery array (in my case 48vdc) with an input of 48+30%vdc to 250vdc.

Midnight Classic has a good reputation.
It has algorithms for turbines as well as PV.
You need protection against over-voltage. Midnight documents their "Clipper" for that purpose, something you may be able to DIY.

I recently bought a Classic 150. The 200 and 250 allow higher input voltage but handle somewhat lower wattage.

while we speak of the cold.

I have got something to heat up about again.

1671897502483.png
please witness the DD mark II
the image you are seeing is a very very very crude depiction.

we see 6 magnets and 3 coils.

ohh the brutality of this arrangement is going to be.. yeah yeah we know this joke by now.

anyway the reasoning is. the repelling fields have no where to go other than up and down where they are attacted to each other.

argg tooo much to say here. this is going to be syco!!!! and the upper and lower coils have not even being modeled here.

brothers and sisters. this is the birth of the Daniels Disk ;)

or yet another blunder of mine of which are many yet to follow.

hahahha yet another blunder again it seems. did I tell you guys yet I am a moron?

The way I modeled it now the coils have similar poles on each side of them. hahha what a sacka I am. i just got soo excited that my brain stoped thinking and I just started modeling.

I'll rework it to depict what it is I meant

Back