diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

the word is not bending but more wiggeling that the turbine does. that has gotten me on edge.

I wll defenitly apply the 25% underground warpspeed suggested. or something to that effect

Check out Kris Harbour's 2kW wind turbine DIY build on YoutTube, although he didn't go VAWT he shows how he used the Outback Controller, with resistive dump load (heater) control relays, and fail-safe brake system, and built his own alternator. May be good reference, with real world power output result shown.

Check out Kris Harbour's 2kW wind turbine DIY build on YoutTube, although he didn't go VAWT he shows how he used the Outback Controller, with resistive dump load (heater) control relays, and fail-safe brake system, and built his own alternator. May be good reference, with real world power output result shown.
thank you for your suggestion but I really am not looking for suggestions regarding unproven stuff. I ask so on the very first post I make in this thread.

in order to generate around 700 watts with what look like 1 meter blades it has to be rather windy. around 11.5 m/s will get you there.
So I am sorry to tell you that I can not give him the benefit of the doubt.

His machining does look incredibly cool though. Far out of my reach.

regarding unproven stuff.
Kris built two, the first was smaller diameter (both the blades and the alternator) and produced less than 1kW, his second attempt was much larger and per the vid (proven stuff) made near 2kW under his conditions in Wales. He notes the first version had 1.5m (5-foot blades) and the second version has 2.2m (7-foot blades); so no, not 1.2m that you were assuming. Posted for the benefit of anyone following this thread.
The most interesting part of Kris's build was seeing how (like Hedges pointed out) using the Outback controller provided an Aux circuit for load dumping (in the Vid Kris dumps to a space heater) and the relays he set up to short the windings together in case of a failure - shorting them creates an electromagnetic brake for the turbine, an important feature. Since this was his second wind turbine, he learned a few things (proven stuff) from his first attempt, that was built into the second.

Kris built two, the first was smaller diameter (both the blades and the alternator) and produced less than 1kW, his second attempt was much larger and per the vid (proven stuff) made near 2kW under his conditions in Wales. He notes the first version had 1.5m (5-foot blades) and the second version has 2.2m (7-foot blades); so no, not 1.2m that you were assuming. Posted for the benefit of anyone following this thread.
The most interesting part of Kris's build was seeing how (like Hedges pointed out) using the Outback controller provided an Aux circuit for load dumping (in the Vid Kris dumps to a space heater) and the relays he set up to short the windings together in case of a failure - shorting them creates an electromagnetic brake for the turbine, an important feature. Since this was his second wind turbine, he learned a few things (proven stuff) from his first attempt, that was built into the second.
This is appears to be based on or at least similar to Hugh Piggott's Brake Drum Axial Flux wind mill.

There was a company in Colorado that was selling the blades and some other parts which I assume would have really shortened what a home gamer was up against. They appear to be defunct now and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up!!

This is appears to be based on or at least similar to Hugh Piggott's Brake Drum Axial Flux wind mill.

There was a company in Colorado that was selling the blades and some other parts which I assume would have really shortened what a home gamer was up against. They appear to be defunct now and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up!!

Kris mentions somewhere in this long vid another YT-er but I didn't see it listed at the bottom of the posting, only the controller was linked ("wind power and more").
Too bad about that Colorado Co. - must be others by now? somewhere?
For my location the arrival of steady wind and winter (low PV) coincide, fueling my interest in wind. Just seems like 'so many moving parts' ie endless maintenance...makes me hesitate I have to admit.

yes yes, I hear you thinking why is al that dead space there

Now this is where I would like our finest to get together. Yes I can ask elsewhere but that is bound to make the subject really technical. I just do not do technical all that well.

also, the Daniels Disk is nothing more than one mans's hope to live longer than his own life does.

On a more serious note, I have tried to demonstrate my brainwaves but I fail to do so.

So without beating around the bush there is no new cool disk as of yet (

Last edited:
Too bad about that Colorado Co. - must be others by now? somewhere?
For my location the arrival of steady wind and winter (low PV) coincide, fueling my interest in wind. Just seems like 'so many moving parts' ie endless maintenance...makes me hesitate I have to admit.
Very much a pity. I think a person would have shaved many months of sourcing and spending a spare hour "here and there" trying to manufacturer thier own blades with that kit plus I think they supplied all the wire and magnets etc.

was this cynical or for real?#

if for real then i am all ears
Totally for real. I've always been a big proponent of Hugh Piggott's design. Many of them out there with years of making energy year after year.

I realize that my cautioning of others about small wind can be taken as hating small wind but it shouldn't be. I would love for small wind to make more sense for more users but I've seen a lot of people get burned by it for no fault of thier own. I'll be the biggest cheerleader of any turbine that can provide data proving thier production over the course of at least a few years.

Last edited:
I am actually seriously asking for advice here brothers and sisters.

What we have here is an implementation of @Warpspeed 's suggestion. I have come to realize that esoteric ideas I have, however misguided or brilliant, are just too damned difficult to construct. Thus it will defeat the whole purpose of something that is easy to build.
Yes I know the title of this thread is misleading but I'll buy you a beer or anything to your taste when you come here at my place and marvel at the turbine doing it's job.

Given the image above one might wonder if a 6 phase widing is an option. I'd say yes! If the law of physics do not prevent it.

I mean, its possible to build an alternator that has any number of separate phases, or more than the usual three.
There is no practical advantage in doing that. Its just more complexity for no reason.
It would require more output wires, and more diodes to turn it into the required dc output voltage.
Three phases offer excellent performance, with only about two percent ripple voltage after rectification, and no need for anything more than that.

small update.

I have but 3.something KG left of PLA filament. I am burning through my 20KG stack as I am going extreme.

Earlier magnet holder disks, and related components, turned out to be too flimsy. It almost made me give up on PLA and 3d printing.

Given I am going with the dual magnet concept as suggested here earlier it gives termendoes amount of freedom to use PLA and see how stiff it can be.

1675263605693.png

here we have 3 /4th of one side of the magnet disk holders. So we'll have 8 in total. 4 each and opposing each other.

I really do not care that there is still warping going on the edges. it just does not make these functional parts less functional in this scenario.

The magnet holders them selfs are still under construction but are near to showtime. They will be added on the outer parts of what we are seeing.

All in all it's a rather large diam alternator. But I am sure we all remember that saying. Bigger is better ;) (makes one wonder what it is I am compensating for does it?)

For the coils, as to be seen on the lowe right side of the image.
1675264060412.png
this is an early concept. Of course it's going to be filled with iron powder that is not electrically conductive.

I am going with 3 phase yet leaving no space unwound. It's doable once I have had some nights sleep on it.

So all in all, we are not too far away from finally having some real world results.

Meaning that the wind is driving the output.

Hold on to your buttocks everyone. It's going to be a bumpy ride!!

Brtal wind and poor build quality is not a good mix.
My self build home is showing signs of leaking

1675269489604.png
It's not a structural issue though as the structural parts remain sound even when soaked with water.

Back