diy solar

diy solar

Built a 24v solar system, need power converter advice

TheWildWynns

So I followed Will's advice and built a 24v system to save money on solar charge controllers and wiring. (If anyone knows how to program solar charge controllers to 24v, please help!)

The big issue is that my rv's stock power converter is 12v, which means it won't charge my 24v battery bank. I've got 1920w of solar so that I can run my ac with my 4000w 24v inverter and a micro-air. I've got 4x 200 Amph LIfepo batteries configured in series and parallel to 24v and a 24v to 12v DC to DC converter running into my RV's 12v system.

I shouldn't NEED the power converter except in emergencies to recharge with a generator or when we want shore power. But as is, I can't do both. I'm about to wire my inverter into the 30 amp side of my 50 amp circuit board to run basically everything in our RV.

Can I get by with an automatic transfer switch? Do I need a 12v to 24v step up converter?
If so, how would I wire it all together?

Or should I just skip it all and just roll with the solar?

Thanks for all your advice in advance!

My situation is vaguely similar to yours. Like you, I am going 24V. I never intended to use the factory charger. I went with a Victron that works as inverter, charger, and ATS. I would probably get a 24V charger instead of a 12>24.

So I followed Will's advice and built a 24v system to save money on solar charge controllers and wiring. (If anyone knows how to program solar charge controllers to 24v, please help!)

The big issue is that my rv's stock power converter is 12v, which means it won't charge my 24v battery bank. I've got 1920w of solar so that I can run my ac with my 4000w 24v inverter and a micro-air. I've got 4x 200 Amph LIfepo batteries configured in series and parallel to 24v and a 24v to 12v DC to DC converter running into my RV's 12v system.

I shouldn't NEED the power converter except in emergencies to recharge with a generator or when we want shore power. But as is, I can't do both. I'm about to wire my inverter into the 30 amp side of my 50 amp circuit board to run basically everything in our RV.

Can I get by with an automatic transfer switch? Do I need a 12v to 24v step up converter?

imnotlostimrving.com

Im not rv so maybe that can help. Has like 15 videos of how went solar in rv.

Will owns the site, but rarely gets involved in the discussion here and doesn't do private consults. You didn't mention what brand and model of the components you have, in particular, the SCC if you are wanting help with it.

Back