diy solar

diy solar

Built an ev tractor, now for the solar charge station…

Real2Reel

Hello I recently finished a 1975 tractor ev conversion. It is a 72v 100ah battery and i want to build a solar charge station for it. I know i need panels, a charge controller, battery and an inverter. I already have the battery and have a 72v 8000watt inverter that i use on the tractor already. I dont know how to spec the panels and controller for this application. Any help, products links, specs or suggestions appreciated!631B91CB-194A-4D89-A948-E849A98327E8.jpeg

Not many 72V charge controllers.
What battery type, AGM, FLA, LiFePO4?

Midnight does support 72V https://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=256

If you use Anderson connectors you could rearrange battery as 36V or 24V for charging.
Outback supports both https://outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/charge_controllers/flexmax_6080/fm6080_datasheet.pdf

With a 24V arrangement, it could double as battery for an inverter, power your house during grid failures.
There are some 36V, not many.
Oh, you have 72V inverter already!

We like Santan. Others also have used & leftovers.

Panels are hard to come by and more expensive at the moment (Ukraine, oil, tariff disputes)

Hello I recently finished a 1975 tractor ev conversion. It is a 72v 100ah battery and i want to build a solar charge station for it. I know i need panels, a charge controller, battery and an inverter. I already have the battery and have a 72v 8000watt inverter that i use on the tractor already. I dont know how to spec the panels and controller for this application. Any help, products links, specs or suggestions appreciated!View attachment 94084
What is the battery fully charged Voltage? Some of the Ebike guys might have something for you..

Hello I recently finished a 1975 tractor ev conversion. It is a 72v 100ah battery and i want to build a solar charge station for it.
Googled for 72V SCC and found the Smarten. Going that route you don't need the inverter (e.g., the setup is panels to SCC to the battery, done! Assuming you have the existing Inverter as the tractor's motor is AC?) From there it's a matter of picking your panels based on the voltage, amps, and series/parallel to match the SCC (for how to do that, see the thread Figuring out how many panels in series and parallel based on your SCC).

But, it also means you're abandoning the power from the panels when the battery doesn't need charging. Assuming you have a 120V or 240V AC charger for your mower now (possibly the existing inverter doubles as a charger?), it would make more sense to just have grid-tied solar so you could maximize the benefit. That is the panels are always producing and churning out power for the mower, the home, or export to your neighbors. If you can't export power to the grid, look for a zero-export feature on the GT inverter, you'll still get the home benefits.

Last edited:
it is actually a dc setup, i picked up a 72vdc inverter that gives my ac power. Thanks for the links!

Back