diy solar

diy solar

Built my first batteries... A quick report.

LVLAaron

In the next year I'll be building a new (small) home and will be off grid. I wanted to get a budget 48v battery system going to test the loads I'd need to run a low frequency growatt inverter...

Battery hookup then had these cells on sale (https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-battery-hookup-lifep04-32650-3-2v-5000mah-cells-1) and I ordered 16 of them...

Then I found the Gyll rack mount batteries and decided that would be a better long term solution and repurposed the battery hookup packs for some 12v stuff I needed (camper)

I originally built it as a big 400ah 12v battery... but the size and weight was kind of a pain in the ass. So I broke it in half.

Anyway... I'm not crazy about the cells. They're absolutely as advertised but they're not matched, and resistance varies a bit with different wire lengths, etc. So I ended up using a small active balancer (Heltec) - And they work REALLY well.

Long story short... If I had to do it again what would I do? I'd buy SOK batteries. :)

21-12-09 13-59-07 6460.jpg

In the next year I'll be building a new (small) home and will be off grid. I wanted to get a budget 48v battery system going to test the loads I'd need to run a low frequency growatt inverter...

Battery hookup then had these cells on sale (https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-battery-hookup-lifep04-32650-3-2v-5000mah-cells-1) and I ordered 16 of them...

Then I found the Gyll rack mount batteries and decided that would be a better long term solution and repurposed the battery hookup packs for some 12v stuff I needed (camper)

I originally built it as a big 400ah 12v battery... but the size and weight was kind of a pain in the ass. So I broke it in half.

Anyway... I'm not crazy about the cells. They're absolutely as advertised but they're not matched, and resistance varies a bit with different wire lengths, etc. So I ended up using a small active balancer (Heltec) - And they work REALLY well.

Long story short... If I had to do it again what would I do? I'd buy SOK batteries. :)

View attachment 75180
Hi @LVLAaron Could we peak inside your batteries?

Back