diy solar

diy solar

Bulging brand new Ampere Time 12V 100Ah

Ericrhoads

I just received this battery and contacted support about the big bulge on the top.
I received the following response-should be normal test capacity and we can give you a $40 credit- see photo for more details

I do not have the proper gear to do a capacity testing. I have an EPEVER MPPT charge controller that I could maybe figure out how to test capacity but not sure how accurate it would be or how long it would take.

1. Is that large amount of bulge normal? Should I be concerned?
2. Should I try to test it using the charge controller?
3. Should I always test capacity of any battery that I buy?
4. Should I take the $40 and be happy or ask for it to be returned?

Thanks for helping a newbie

Attachments

• 15B6C2DD-0852-4ACC-967B-F1EB57DB9BCF.jpeg
    15B6C2DD-0852-4ACC-967B-F1EB57DB9BCF.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 513FA329-1C72-4A8E-A42C-5CC52D1DD67C.jpeg
    513FA329-1C72-4A8E-A42C-5CC52D1DD67C.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 78D1F051-74FB-44EA-BFEC-7C65C9FC17A0.jpeg
    78D1F051-74FB-44EA-BFEC-7C65C9FC17A0.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 62
"Normally, EVA Swell has no effect on performance of battery?" :oops:

Post this picture on there amazon review watch how they change there tune.

I am sending it back tomorrow. So far it’s been easy to work with them.
The email in 12 fonts/size is kinda weird.

Just wondering if you ended up going for a refund, or a replacement?

I recently purchased 2 Power Queen batteries after seeing some good reviews here, and they were also bulging in the center. Same explanation about the EVA foam (but no $40 credit ;)).

Wondering if this is a common issue with these batteries? I looked through some of the teardown videos, and there is indeed a piece of foam in the center of the batteries:

CHINS -

chins-1.jpg

Power Queen -

pq-1.jpg
pq-2.jpg

pq-3.jpg

I recently ordered a second "Ampere Time 12V 200Ah Plus" battery from their Amazon store, and its top was similarly bulging. The first battery I bought from them (last year) wasn't like that, though I see now it's not 100% flat either - but its bulge is a lot more subtle and wasn't noticeable at the time.

Their support was prompt and willing to take it back. After their explanation about the foam, seeing teardown videos that supported that theory, and a successful capacity test, I figured it was cosmetic and safe to keep. They gave me a $75 credit once I said I was keeping it (but didn't offer a credit initially). I feel like it was a good value for my application, but unsure if I'd order more. I have better-built lifepo4 batteries from another manufacturer, but they cost substantially more per Wh.

After their explanation about the foam, seeing teardown videos that supported that theory, and a successful capacity test, I figured it was cosmetic and safe to keep.
Same here with Power Queen - I was finally able to perform charge and discharge tests:
  • Discharge - only have a DL24P, which maxes at 180W, so was around 13-14A i.e. 0.065C of 200Ah
  • Charge - using a Victron IP22, max 30A i.e. 0.15C of 200Ah

Both batteries were able to be charged and discharged around 202 Ah. Cutoff voltage used was 10.8V as recommended by the manuals.

better-built lifepo4 batteries from another manufacturer, but they cost substantially more per Wh.
Is that Battle Born or SOK?

Back